This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I don't mean to sound like i live under a rock but...What's the purpose of Twitter and Facebook?
11-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I don't mean to sound like i live under a rock but...What's the purpose of Twitter and Facebook?
Am i the only person in the world who don't have a twitter or facebook account?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Its for people without a life so they can communicate without having to actually meet people.

Ads

^^

it is NOT for people without a life! maybe some people know others that live in foreign countries! and maybe don't want to spend money on contacting them by phone!

also i have a facebook account.
because i have family that live in London and i live in Leeds and i also know people in other countries Smile

Nah, I know people that don't have facebook.
It's just a networking thing for people to stay connected. I use it to talk to my friends that moved away for University.

Welcome, welcome, thrice welcome to the club, friend! You are not alone on this island! I know that the promoters of T and FB say, with straight faces, that their creations help people to keep in touch with friends and family. My view is (are you still awake?) that T and FB (and Bebo and all the others) were created for people who have never grown out of the adolescent stage of development. Some psychologists say (with some justification) that there is nowadays a culture of "extended juvenility or childhood" in our society, and T and FB reflect this. You only have to look around you, in the street, on the TV, on public transport, to see young adults - who should be behaving in a responsible, adult manner - doing things that are so childish that they beggar description. If you look at a FB site, for example, you will see a line of photographs with the heading "Mary's friends". These photos are often of people who are pictured doing daft, juvenile things. And Mary is saying, "These are all my friends!" You can almost hear her saying it in a gushing, girly tone. Well, that's it. That is the purpose of T and FB and all the others, namely, to encourage immature adults to continue to be immature adults. Heaven help us if there is a war.