This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good legal reasons to change last name?
11-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Good legal reasons to change last name?
I'm filling out a form to change my last name, and it's asking me for reasons why I want to change it. What are good legal reasons to change my last name? I only want to switch to my mothers maiden name, because I don't talk to my father anymore. Can I put that, or do I need a better reason?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 08:17 PM

There isn't any

Ads

You don't need a good reason, you just need a reason. I would however find a better reason to put down, or at least find a way to word it to where it sounds less like you're trying to act vindictive. One such reason would involve the words "estranged from."

You don't have to have a reason. Just say you prefer your mother's last name.

You do not need "good reason", just a reason. As long as you are an adult, there is no requirement other than you wish to change your name for your motion to be granted. Keep in mind, someone did change their name to "Mark Zuckerburg" just to cheese off Facebook.

Simply put down, in your own words, that you wish to known by your mother's maiden name - no further explanation is needed. If the judge wishes to know more, then he will ask you at the hearing.