This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do some confident people think they are better then shy people?
11-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Just so you know - your brother's issue isn't confidence. Apparently, he needs to have more friends than he really has in order to validate himself. (really, your bro doesn't actually HAVE 500 friends.)

Confidence is something that usually shows that you have pride in yourself. That you have high self-esteem. (SOMETIMES. Confidence should not be confused with conceit, arrogance, etc.)

Having high self-esteem is regarded as a very good thing in society, so they think they're better because they follow social norms.

Shy people tend to...not be as socially high up.
Soyeah.

edit: you asked this in sociology, so I answered it in a fairly sociological way.
Just so you know - I'm shy, too. I honestly think you're confusing confidence with arrogance.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

because confident people are confident and take on all opportunities, shy people are introvert and genuinely stupid, ooh look at me, im shy and dumb lol

Ads

shyness can also be a phobia,read the book shyness! because of this people that are outgoing are going to pass a person that is scared to speak up and be heard,same with a job interview ,people that express themselves are better heard!

Well i think u r confusing arrogance with confidance, Yes there will be bit arrogance with confidance.
But I think for shy people even confidance may sound like arrogance.

Confident people tease and make people feel awkward.. thats until they get smacked in the face or something.

Obviously some of the people haven't read your question properly. I know exactly where you are coming from. I'm also shy, so some people who are confident tease me and stuff to make themselfs feel better, because they think they have the right to feel better and then think they are better.

I think it could be a matter of perception. I choose to learn my job, I choose to know the answers or find them, so while I am confident in my job and willing to take on pressure and stress that other people don't want, I certainly don't think I am better than they are. I learned very early in life that you can learn something from everyone and sometimes you learn some pretty helpful things from people you don't expect to learn things from. If I am working with or encounter a person that I can tell is shy and new at socializing, I adjust to that person. If you encourage people you give them power, if you knock them down, you just knock them down. The Bible says.....25,000 people can say Hail Diana, and that doesn't make Diana Queen. The same is true for your brother. 500 people can sign up for his face book account, that does not mean he is better than you, that does not mean he is a true friend, or even knows 1/4th of those people, that does not mean he has honor, it just simply means he allowed 500 people to sign up on his face book account. Joyce Meyer says......"Why is it that when people mistreat us, we think there is something wrong with us? Why is it that when people bully us, we assume they are right and we are wrong?" I think you need to think about that. You are letting your brother bully you, and your mind is allowing you to think that there is something wrong with you, when there isn't. You don't have the right to assume that there is something wrong because people bully you. Don't think like that, change your perception. Joyce Meyer says when we get stinking thinking we have to trade our negative thoughts for positive thoughts, and we have to do it on purpose. So when you get stinking thinking, instead of wasting your time thinking of negative thoughts, simply think of something positive. Think of your favorite song, poem, Bible verse, joke. You don't have to think negative things, she says, simply think of something else. So you need to work on that. Don't focus on people who bully you, think of something pleasant, think of something positive, think of something you enjoy, don't waste your time being bummed.