This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CT laws regarding school faculty &students on social media sites?
10-02-2012, 05:56 PM
CT laws regarding school faculty &students on social media sites?
I'm involved in a school sport, with which, the coaches in charge have a facebook, twitter and instagram for the other girls to follow. What I'm not sure is lawful or not, is that they follow us back on these sites, and get upset if we're doing things they don't think teens our age should be doing. I'm not talking about anything illegal, which I would understand, but how we interact with each other and some foul language on the site. They've gone so far as to threaten to have us kicked off the team if they see us doing such things, scaring us away from things that are a part of our social life. No other team sport in our school does this, and if the coaches have the nerve to bring up a few things we've said on these sites to the athletic director at our school to get us off the team, then we would have every right to print out all the awful things the majority of other sports have put on these websites (that I've seen first hand) and get the rest of these sports teams almost completely banned.

I apologize for the tangent, but is it legal for these coaches, considered part of the athletic department of our school, in CT to have any interactions with us on these websites, and to seemingly parent us through them? Thank you for any guidelines or help in advance.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2012, 06:04 PM

Yes, it's legal. It might be unwise, depending on what they do, but what you describe sounds, frankly, entirely reasonable.

Ads

There are no CT laws restricting what the coaches or students do on social media sites. None of the other states have such a law either.

School districts create a policy on social media.