This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I break the news of a death to someone?
11-09-2012, 08:41 PM
How do I break the news of a death to someone?
My uncle called me this morning, and informed me that my aunt had passed away last night. My cousin who is like a brother to me, well that was his mom, and he don't know yet. He is going to school in another state right now.

Is it too impersonal to do over facebook? Should I call him? What should I say?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 08:50 PM

"Dude, aunt "So-and-so" just crocked!"

Ads

I'd at the very least call.

Jeez, you actually considered Facebook?

"Phone home, your mom died."

Hi! I'm a pastor. I've found that it's best to be direct. Call him and tell him what happened. Don't beat around the bush.

Text message?

Just say call home!EMERGENCY

Facebook is way to impersonal. Yes it must be a call. Did your Uncle ask you to call? Because it really should be him who makes the call.

why is it that you are having to do this. why isn't his father or step father doing it?

that aside, you definately need to call. don't email or text or put it on facebook.

you should probably also alert the school counselor or student support helper since the death of one's mother is a real blow, even if they didn't have a great relationship. be sure there is someone who can be present to help him deal with it.

I'm in a volunteer work going from door-to-door to bring Bible comfort to people, so I've had a little experience with things like this. We'll occasionally find someone who just lost someone, and once I even needed to help a lady break news of her brother's death to her children. Its important to remember that no matter how you present the news, the immediate reaction will no doubt be about the same, and a period of grieving is always going to follow-that's just natural. But it will help a person a lot to know the hope from the Bible. For one thing, many people are troubled by the thought that their loved ones are not at rest once they die, but if this is something you think may worry him, then there are plenty of Bible scriptures, like Ecclesiastes 9:5-10, that show that once we're dead, we are only resting. There are also many scriptures that talk about when we will get to see our dead loved ones-when they are resurrected to life with many others. (Acts 24:15) I lost my grandpa not too long ago, so I've been looking forward to this now more than ever.

Here's a few articles that go over the condition of the dead and the hope we have to see them again. I hope they will help both of you. You can order copies of the book as well. This is a volunteer work, so they don't cost anything.
http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/article_06.htm
http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/article_07.htm

If you want a copy of the book, you can fill this out. And you can have someone answer any questions you want to know more about as well.
https://watch002.securesites.net/contact/submit.htm

My prayers go with both of you and your family. I hope I was able to help, even if a little.