This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can someone explain to my why people would take pictures at a funeral?
11-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Can someone explain to my why people would take pictures at a funeral?
I had never seen that before and was really surprised. Is there something I'm missing?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 08:55 PM

Maybe for a memorial for the dead. A memory they wanted to keep other than in their hearts.Boy, thats deep.

Ads

I don't get it either. I notice it's a recent somewhat "trend" among some people to take pictures from and video tape funerals. I find it rude, and just uncomfortable. and I don't think it's something pleasant to look at afterward.
I agree with the person above me though. maybe if the person is someone famous or important the pictures would later be used.

it's a big thing (although negative) that the person died. so they want to remember it.

sort of like when you take photos of your house that has been severely damaged by a storm.

remember, people keep ashes in an urn. why?

That was something my mother did. She had a picture in her scrapbook of her mother, her sister, several brothers, and her son taken at their funerals -- in their coffins. I don't like pictures of the dead and did not put them into my photo albums when my mother sent them to me. My mother died in 2006 -- and I chose not to take a picture of her as she lay at the Funeral home. I felt guilty for not doing so -- her camera was there and I knew she would have expected me to do that -- and send the photo to her friends living in Virginia that would not be making the trip --because of their age and the distance and the time of year. I called her friends and told them I had not taken a photo -- and got the reply "That's okay, you can't think of everything at a time like that" --but the point is -- I did think about it and decided not to -- and this is something that I can't go back and do for them or for her. At the time, I sent each of her old friends a memorial Obit with a current photo of her --she was 85-- and a sound recording of the service --and hope they were satisfied with that. For myself, I think I would like to have a closed coffin. My dad just died this week --he was a Veteran --and my sisters and I have chosen to have the coffin flag draped and closed.

It's a family tradition on my mom's side of the family to take photos at funerals for keep sakes. In 1992 my Granny passed away in Baltimore, MD. We couldn't attend the funeral so my Aunt took photos and sent them to us. They were beautiful! Of her in the casket and the flower arrangements. Grave side services.

The next time we took photos was at my Grandpa's funeral in Sedalia. I just did it so I could remember his last moments before we buried him.

Then we couldn't made my Uncles funeral in Maryland so we had pictures of the service and then when we came and spread his ashes we took video of it.

The last pictures I took at a funeral were of my Father's and I'm glad we did. My mom, bro and I had pictures taken next to him at the casket. Then when we buried him in Knob Noster the Air Force Base was doing stealth bombing training and during the service they flew about five times and we were lucky and some friends brought camera's to and got photos for us. When I got home we uploaded the photos of the funeral and burial on Facebook so family and some select friends could see.

Bottom line it depends on the family. Some like mine consider it a final celebration of a persons life. Others may just think its plain odd or stupid. We take pictures of our babies that come into the world. Its only right that we should be able to take photos after we have left this world.