This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do whites think black people should name their kids white sounding names instead of unique names?
11-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Why do whites think black people should name their kids white sounding names instead of unique names?
Simple names that are more ethnic and not even ghetto just ethnic and African American sounding are called "ghetto" and many whites say black people name their children bad names. So tell me why are black sounding names lesser than white names like Becky?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:04 PM

The names themselves are not looked down upon, it is the people that are associated with those names that give it a bad connotation.

Ads

its not that its just kinda weird when all the names you give out seem to rhyme with eek-wa.

name your kids whatever you want. makes no difference to me if you give them white, black, arab, etc... names.

name them anything i dont mind. just be my date for Coltrane in downtown detroit yo

wings and salad.

Everything black people do is considered ghetto. I don't understand how can food, chicken, be considered ghetto? And every Kool Aid commercial I see has white people advertising it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TppRjknOryk

People just like to make it seem like black people do everything wrong.

A number of scholarly studies show that people who submit resumes with 'black-sounding' names receive fewer interviews for jobs than people with main stream Caucasian sounding names.

If you notice, many immigrants adopt American sounding names in lieu of their foreign/ethnic names because they want to assimilate into the dominant culture and not be seen as different.

Many employers perceive a person with a black name as being less educated or sophisticated than a person with a more mainstream name.

Even though America is a melting pot of different cultures, we still have a dominant culture. Sadly, many people in the dominant culture think that every Hispanic is Mexican and that Mexican is a language.

I get where you are coming from, but you know that some mothers who happen to be black name their kids "especially their daughters" pretty stupidly. I know the stereotype you're talking about, but I also happen to know that the people who stand behind it aren't asking you to name your kids "white" names. They're making fun of people who...

A: Name their kids common "white" names, then proceed to spell them in the dumbest ways possible ensuring that their kids will have nothing but headaches when they see that their names are always spelled "wrong". From yearbooks to paychecks they will have to keep on going into get it changed because their parents decided to name them like say "Afrodite" which is one that I've seen before. Yes, I get it, you were going for Aphrodite and you thought that because she is a beautiful African American girl it would be clever.... no, no it wasn't, you're just terrible parents. Who the hell besides Greek people name their kids Aphrodite in the first place? And then to give your child a terrible pun for a name is borderline child abuse. Thought that was bad, it's nothing compared to this one. AlyxZandyr, yes, some retard wanted to make their kid "unique" by giving them this abortion for a name. It's still pronounced Alexander, but wow..... just wow. Oh and how about Kenzyngtyn yeah... I understand that white people can do stupid shit like this to, but honestly, it pops up a lot in the African American community. Though I guess it's better than rednecks naming their kids Hemi, Chevy and Dodge.

B: Just flat out stupid and invented names. If they wanted something unique they could have went with an actual African American name. They're unique, beautiful, and apart of the African American culture, but no. Oh no. These parents wanted to be UNIQUE! Like Sharlex, Shameia and her sister Shemaia, Zipporah and Xochiquetzal. There are also names where the parents said "TO HELL WITH THE RULES OF ENGLISH!" like TraeVion or Emma-LeE (I would like to note the second was obviously suppose to be Emily so falls into A, however, the dash paired with the capital to make it "a French sounding e" throws it under the bus and into this category) Emma-LeE is pronounced Emma-Lee-eh.... yeah. Again terrible parents. And as for X-tina, I think it falls in both A and B. If X-Mas = Christmas, then X-tina must = Christina!

C: Naming your kids after products, verbs, or adverbs.
Nevaeh, not only is this a brand of bottled water, this is Heaven backwards and is child abuse. Following backwards name for a sec I'm going to mention a trend in some black women coming through the local hospital naming their children after the absent father.... with the names backwards.... the kid is already not going to have a father, why are you doing this to them. Father's name = James. Child's name = Semaj pronounced ( Sa-ma-shay)....face palm. More names, Adorabelle, Afternoon, Avon<-makeup company, Cruz, Dancing, Danger, Destiny, Doctor, Evion<- MORE WATER, famous, and my all time favorites this month SUPERMAN <- in capitals, and Facebook, yes, facebook.

All races of people name their kids retarded names, however, this trend..... shows up a lot in the African American population I must say. White people that give their kids stupid names are usually rednecks who call their Daughters Mackaylah-Ray, and their sons Billy-Ray. Or they're glossy eyed stoners who name their kids River, Autumn, Spring, or after their great-great grandmother's calling them Delilah or Preston or George. But I have to say, even at the peak when white parents are naming their kids dork names like Xion and Arwen they still just can't keep up with black parents naming their kids Kenzyngtyn. But hey, maybe I'm bias, and who am I to talk. I've never run into another Ayana, but to be fair. I'm actually Icelandic and it's an Icelandic name after one of the Valkyries of war, it's actually my heretige unlike the people naming their daughters "Swahalli" sounding names.
http://stuffblackpeoplehate.com/2008/03/...pid-names/

Also Becky is totally a dog's name.

@ Ayana: Lol that's hilarious

I honestly don't like very many African American names. Yes they are unique but most of them sound odd, not in a good way. Furonda? I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard LaKeisha and LaToya. Or how about LaFonda? Or Shaniqua? I honestly don't like the way they sound but that's just my opinion. My name is Leora(Means light in Hebrew and Compassion in Greek). I'm sure a lot of people don't like my name but generally people seem to like it.