This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any advice for getting in touch with a sibling ive never met?
11-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Any advice for getting in touch with a sibling ive never met?
My older sister who i have never met or talked to contacted me on facebook and would really appreciate some advice on how to handle it

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:15 PM

just act like friends

Ads

don't! i have been in this position myself. it is a big mistake. she is no longer your sister. she is a total stranger to you.

You may have to check if she is really your older sister.There are a lot of people on the web that can pass as someone else.Just on the safe side don't communicate with people on the web that you don't know.And if she was really your sister than why didn't she communicated with your mother in the first place.I have 5 older brothers that i don't know.They are over 10 years older than me.Before i used to want to meet them and talk to them.But then i realized if they really wanted to be big brothers to me why didn't they started when i was young.So in the end i just forgot about them as they had forgotten about me.Now that i'm more mature i realized my guy friends are more brotherly than the brothers i have by blood.In the end my brothers are just plain strangers to me.There is no point now to meet them at all!

i would ask your mom

You said that she contacted you, but you didn't say why. Was it to get to know another side of her family? Was it because she wanted to know just you? There are many other reasons; genetic disorders, having kids and wanting children to know their family etc but this is part of your decision.

Also, she's thinking the exact same thing you are. What's she like? Will she like me? What if we don't click? Tell her the truth; that you're nervous, or don't know what to say really...and then that you want to have a chance to get to know her or that you're not ready for this.

It would also help to go through why you don't know your sister. Was it something she chose (older and left home?) or was it something to do with your parents?

Personally, I think you have to look at both sides but you can always choose not to have a relationship later, while the chance to have a relationship may not arise later.