This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
can cps take my kid away for having fleas?
11-09-2012, 09:21 PM
can cps take my kid away for having fleas?
i had kittens and my ten year old cat and the kittens gave us fleas so i got rid of them and bombed the house twice but they keep gettin worse and i found fleas in my sons hair so i had to cut his hair. and my friend said if people find out on my facebook they might call cps on me? and my facebook is private and it seemed like it was a threat. i've been tryin to get rid of fleas so could they take away my kid for fleas?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:29 PM

thats nothing peter was covered with the most ticks

Ads

No. Fleas are no big deal and even if people on facebook found ou then they wouldn't call the cps!

so long as you didn't ignore the problem or neglect the child they cant do a thing. Your a good mom... for christ sakes you took care of it and bombed the house twice right?
fuck facebook.

No, they will not take your kids away because your cat has fleas.
(And fleas dont' live on people. Washing your son's hair would have gotten rid of the fleas just as effectively as cutting it.)

No. It's not your fault and you are trying to get rid of them. Its entirely different if you were neglecting the situation, but you aren't. They can call cps all they want and cps might investigate, but they won't take your kids. And while you're at it, tell people to butt out and look for real reasons to be calling cps.

It would not likely be "fleas" that CPS would interfere but the fleas may make them come look and find something that is a concern?

CPS is always going to try and work for the best interests of your child. If you're taking better care of the child than they can, you're going to be left with custody.

A CPS worker dreads the idea of reviewing a case and making a bad call, they are meddling with lives of parents and children. I don't think people should be so worried about CPS and just worry about providing good care for the kids. Smile

I can't say for a fact that they would or wouldn't, but a bug infestation can be a normal situation for someone to go through. If they were called on you they would I feel have to have more than just fleas to take you kid away. Is you house regularly cleaned and you child is bathing regularly? If there is no outright neglect than you should be fine. Maybe this is time for you to call a pest control service. If you cant get rid of them your self. I hope it all works out for you.

fortunate and unfortunate news:

fortunate - they aren't gonna take your kids away for positively having fleas. people get problems like this all the time. lice? stuff like that. if they check on you and see that you've been attempting to get rid of the problem, that's all they're looking for.

unfortunate - if someone does refer you to CPS, they must do a welfare check. that means an inspection of your home that you must comply with. if there's some condition in your home OTHER than fleas, such as no running water, trash build up, no food in the house, etc. etc., they warn you to fix the problem or else run the risk of losing your kids. Unless it's something so egregious that they would take your kids right there (visible human waste, dead animals, etc.). But in that case, I think I would have little sympathy for you.

Bottom line? If you run a relatively clean ship, you shouldn't have anything to worry about a call from CPS. Rather, more likely, you could have a problem from some vindictive relative, frenemy, or ex-.

it depends on how bad the flea infestation is. I've heard of kids being taken away for bed bugs and stuff like that too. But, if you show that you are taking active measures to get rid of the problem, you most likely wont have to worry about anything. I would suggest bathing the cat and kitten with a flea shampoo, followed up with advantage or another flea and tick treatment. When you bomb the house, dont forget to wash all of the bedding and laundry in the house, too. sometimes the fleas can hide in matresses, bedding and laundry and the flea bomb will not effectively kill them or their eggs. I am also a fan of the triple vacuum followed by carpet shampooing.