This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any suggestions on how to get rid of an internet addiction?
11-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Any suggestions on how to get rid of an internet addiction?
Facebook, email, blogs, it's never ending. I'm trying to get through midterms and keep getting delayed with this internet addiction! Can anyone offer any help or suggestions of how to get rid of it? I've tried unplugging my internet cable, but that hasn't worked and I can't unplug my computer because I need it to type up my midterms!
I must admit yahoo answers probably isn't helping...oh well.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:34 PM

unplug the net cable, give it to a friend / relative and tell them not to give it you back till your works done, no matter what.

Ads

Don't pay your bill and then it will get cut off and you will have no choice but to not go on it!!

Hmm, you know what, you can actually get your computer configured so that you can only have it on for so long. I know my mother had to do it to keep my brother from being on it all the time. I think you can also configure your internet settings to block you from accessing these sites, I know you won't want to have them completely blocked but there might be a setting again to only allow you to be on it for x amount of time, and once you have hit that limit each day it will block you for the rest of the day.

With any addiction, it is good to find something healthy to replace it as well. May be find something like reading books (that are not your school work books), but something you are interested in, may be like Science Fiction or whatever...or going for a walk....Anyways, I don't know if this was of any help, but it was worth a shot! Good luck!

Cut the cable.

Just replace it with something worthwhile. I know, I’m from there. Try the link below. Something to take your mind off unproductive Internet, whilst you earn something. Good Luck with the exams.

Stop asking questions on here then you won't have to keep logging on to see the answers.

Get a web blocker like a "net nanny" and have someone block the sites for you that way you can only get onto school related sites when you need to use your computer for school and work! When you are done what you need to do you could have them unblock it for you. you could do this yourself, but of course you would know the password to unblock it whenever you wanted.

Ask someone to hide it from you, and to only give it back for, say, 1 hour every few days.

Do you have any spare old computers left around the house? the kind that are so old that you won't have the possibility of internet connection on them? They may still work well for Work programs so you can type up your midterms on them and not have the internet distracting you.

used to have my dad's old comp in my room, really old! Typing went fine, but for internet I had to use the other computer in the living room and mum would only let me on for half an hour at the time or so, just to check my mails, especially during exam times.

Might be worth a try - unplugging the cable doesn't work you say, so this is a good option if you have a spare comp like that