This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's with the # and @ on Twitter?
11-09-2012, 09:28 PM
What's with the # and @ on Twitter?
What is the point of the @ and # on Twitter? I get the @ I guess because the comment is directed towards that person but I'm not sure if that's right

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:36 PM

The "@" sign followed by a username is used for mentioning or replying to other users
The "#" symbol, called a hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet

Ads

The '@' just means that you can tag a person in your update.. just like on Facebook and the # is when you want to tag a word, channel.. something that is trending on there. for example some tv programmes will put '#name' so people can put what they think about that show. hope this helps you understand a bit more

Everything with a @ in front is a Twitter user name so if you want to mention someone you have to write their user name with an @ in front. Users can see all the tweets where their user name is mentioned.

Words with # in front are called "hash tags" they are used to include a tweet in a topic. Users can search for tweets that have a certain hash tag.
One of the most famous hash tags on Twitter was #Egypt when all the protests in Egypt were taking place so people who were tweeting about that subject put #Egypt in their tweets so that the people interested in the subject can read their tweets.
Twitter detects if a certain hash tag (or just some words) appear in many tweets and declares that topic asa "trending topic" sometimes abbreviated TT