This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Looking for a engineering apprenticeship and need help please !?
11-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Looking for a engineering apprenticeship and need help please !?
17 in march and a, looking for an apprenticeship in the engineering trade, be that mechanics or plumbing or anything in this sector and i cant find any have phoned employers etc still no luck south east - near London.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:38 PM

It shows how bad things are when even the London area doesn't have enough apprenticeships.

My first piece of advice is *not* waste time (and money!) telephoning. Very few come over well on the phone, and to be realistic, it's much easier to say no to a voice rather than a face.

Therefore, get yourself out there "knocking on doors". I promise this will be much more effective.

To prepare, ensure you have a clear 1-page CV. Even if you've no work experience yet, still show the reader your educational history and hobbies/interests. Plus of course your contact details.

There is no need to wear a suit, although this could help. Do, however, be very smart and present yourself as polite and trustworthy.

If you are turned down, do *not* react negatively. Instead thank the owner-manager for their time but insist they still take your CV.

Then, if not heard from them, still turn up again a few weeks later. Persist (politely) on speaking to the same person again.

Finally, I have found Twitter a fantastic place for self-promotion. If you advertise with the right 'hashtags' (#) you could receive hundreds of local employers reading your message. Think local, so for instance, if you live in Essex then advertise in the #Essex hashtag.

Suggested Twitter tag name:

@ApprenticeshipSeeker

Hope I've helped. Good luck...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply