This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What happens to my Facebook account when I die?
11-09-2012, 09:32 PM
What happens to my Facebook account when I die?
Does it get closed out automatically after it's not used? Or does the family request that it be taken down? Or what? There is no place for date of death, only date of birth. The reason I ask is that two of my friends lost their teenage sons and the sons still have Facebook accounts, even though they have passed away.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:40 PM

They stay there forever or until a family member gets their password and deletes their account... Youu cant just expect facebook to know they died...

Ads

I'm friends with 2 people I went to high school with that passed away. One boy's account has been taken over and used regularly by his mother, and the other boy's account is used by his aunt and she plays Farmville because he loved to play it. Neither has been deleted.

it goes to heaven

That must be painful. The facebook pages stays there until they are removed. The family can request to have them taken down, but facebook don't even have any kind of support so they will just stay there unfortunately.

They can be reported and if reported alot they will go off

They'll stay on the site for good unless someone who knows there password gets into the accounts and manually deletes them. I know this because a man my boyfriend knew from work committed suicide and his facebook is still up. It's quite nice though, because all of his friends and family write on his wall all the time to tell him they're thinking of him etc.

If the family has a problem with the persons facebook still up after their death then they can contact the facebook staff,stating the reason why they want it removed and the staff will be more then happy to remove the persons page.