This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A new guy living in a new city, how to start making networks with new people?
11-09-2012, 09:36 PM
A new guy living in a new city, how to start making networks with new people?
I am thinking about moving to move to a new city, but I don't know any friends or relatives. How should I start off in making new friends and build up a network from these new people to get better job opportunities?

I don't want to rely on my old friends and families about people they know in the city because I want to brush up on my social skills. Also, I want relearn how to make new networks and new friends.

An experienced advice from movers who had no friends in the beginning of moving would be great.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:45 PM

try meetup.com.
There are a lot of groups you can join in your city to meet people, depending on your interests. There are meetups for outdoor activities, dinners & drinks, hobbies, socializing, traveling, clubbing and dancing, groups specific to certain ages, business networking, art, wine tastings, movies-- you name it.
It's just various groups of people getting together to do fun things-- people like you who move to new areas, or people who are single and want to meet more people, or couples who are married and want to try new things, etc.

Ads

Dear Abby always said to meet people through your church or synagogue. Special interest clubs formed around hobbies are another way to keep current with a hobby and meet people. Check your community for Civic Newcomers clubs which usually have a singles group, golf leagues, book clubs, etc.

Toastmasters is a wonderful way to meet men and women and make both social & business contacts. Big cities usually have several clubs (usually ranging from 12 - 35 members), some meeting at restaurants or in business offices, libraries, churches, etc. You will learn a lot. It is a public speaking organization but very gentle and not intimidating. I know people who have been in it for 50 years! And I know people who met and married in Toastmasters.

There are conferences on the local level, area (several clubs in your town), division (clubs from several cities), district (statewide), and regional (several states or states and provinces), also an annual international conference. It is all over the world and the membership is very affordable. Visit a couple of meetings free to see how you like it, or try out different clubs in your area because each club has its own personality.

Hey there,

I just moved to a new area myself and it's been a challenge to build a network, but definitely not impossible.

First, join a professional organization that pertains to your industry and start to get involved. You'll learn a lot and meet some important contacts. Over time, you'll make some friends that are fun to go out with.

Second, build up your social media networks. LinkedIn is a great way to find people in your area who have similar professional interests. Twitter is also another great tool for finding people. Most places have a specific hashtag that makes for easy following. So, for example, you can follow tweets with #nyc if you are looking for people who are in, and talking about, NYC. Per the previous poster's suggestions, Meetup.com is an option. I've joined it but have yet to go to an event. I've been focusing more on my professional networks and conferences, but I will get out to one. Build a good profile too - sometimes you can make friends without going to an actual event. This just happened to me actually.

Third, take a class or find a new hobby. Yoga is something I always wanted to do, so I started it when I moved because I had nothing to lose! I love it and now I have a community I can tap into whenever I'd like. The YMCA is great for this too.

Good luck!