This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What percentage of Iranian voters have cell phones?
11-09-2012, 09:39 PM
What percentage of Iranian voters have cell phones?
Are cell phones so cheap in Iran that a large percentage of the population has them? Or are they owned mainly by the elite?

If the latter is the case, how democratic are the protests organized through Twitter? Can the protests be seen as an attempt by a minority to give the illusion of much wider support?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:47 PM

most ppl in Iran have cell phones and fortunately they can film the protests and violence!
around 2-3 milion ppl came out 2 days ago in support of mousavi,
it was a huge crowd

Ads

The vast majority of I-Ran and Iraq use cell phones....Most are for communications because the I-Ran Government controls the news outlets. Twitter is one of their only sources of truth from outside I-Ran.
But a lot of the cell phones are a one time use item, especially in Iraq and Afghanistan...BOOM....

Well, have cell phones does not in and of itself mean much.

Iran has a population of about 65,9 million people. Some 72% are over. Reports of some 29.8 million cell phones

So assuming one cell phone per person over 14 (A very bad assumption) you would have perhaps 62% will cell phones.

However --- cell phone technology allows people to listen to and block individuals phones. Iran is a religious dictatorship. They could allow calls between people but not external to the country. Cell phones could be jammed at the will of the Religious leader.

Just as IRAN could block all Internet traffic.

Follow the links.