This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Suspended from school over Twitter post?
11-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Suspended from school over Twitter post?
Today my friend was suspended from school for 5 days because of a twitter post. I will agree that the post was wrong and racist but he should be protected by the First Amendment. The post says "I hate stupid n******." He did not disrupt the school day in any way and he made the twitter post while he was in his own home. It was not directed at any of the schools employees and any particular students. He is just writing what I guess was on his mind. Anyway, I know the post was wrong but does he deserve a day suspension when he posted it at his own home. I think he should be protected by the first amendment.

Thanks
He goes to a small Public School in a rural area of NY

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:05 PM

You're probably right. Unless it's a private school. Then they can suspend him for saying "I love puppies" if they really wanted to.

Was it a public school?

Ads

If he spent a bunch of time and parent's money fighting it he would likely win.

see people dont understand privacy rights or the right of expression...... also, the first amendment doesnt cover school settings, so if the school sees this (as a public post) they can legally take action against him--in this case suspend him--.. where i work, we have FIRED people from making posts on twitter/facebook or posting pictures that we dont approve of and its totally legal. schools are under that same category..

your friend needs to be more careful about what he writes.. if he doesnt want to get in trouble he needs to keep his fingers busy with something else

Yeah he can be suspended and mos likely he should be suspended. Yes he has freedom of speech but he cant post words in a public forum that could cause harm or incite a violent situation at the school he is attending. Saying rude and pig headed things in a public place is protected but when you are in school (public or private) you have to follow the rules and moral laws of that school. He WAS disrupting the school day seeing as how anyone can read his post and become offended. HE could have started a fight and a conflict that wouldn't die down for a long time. HE knew what he was saying was racist.Tempers run high when race gets involved and he did this with the intention of inciting a negative reaction.

Short easy answer. Your friend should have gotten suspended and he should have to pay the price for being so stupid and next time actually read the student handbook because every Public school in the US has ethical codes of conduct that say you cant just post racist remarks on a social network and get away with it. Tell him to smarten up and keep his stupid comments to himself next time