This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I make my website compatible with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox?
11-09-2012, 10:03 PM
How do I make my website compatible with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox?
Also, how do I make my default font face permanent even if the browser cannot find the font face that I used?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:11 PM

you hav to develope....

Ads

check

http://www.thesitewizard.com/webdesign/m...sers.shtml

There is no "miracle" solution: you have to "tune" your code, not only for IE and FF, but you have to take account of Opera, Safari and Chrome as well. If you don't, you do a half way job.
Few advices:
- Use HTML STRICT: it will prevent the browsers to get in Quirk mode (where they do things you do not expect!)
- Only use <div> if they are fixed, and that you do not intend to update their contents through AJAX (the overflow, scrolling and relative positions become totally erratic)
- Use tables cells if you work a lot with AJAX (update one cell at a time). Even if advised NOT to use tables, they are STILL the most reliable way to GUARANTEE a layout to work on all browsers, and at all resolutions, especially for "liquid layouts" (spreading and contracting with resolution). [a parenthesis here: check http://www.web2coders.com, the "Table v Div Challenge: 36 weeks on offer, and NO-ONE has found the answer!]
- Use standard and well proven functions: beware of "marquees" and other silly stuff that are exclusive to one given browser.
- Avoid extensive use of Javascript (javascript interpreters are NOT the same on all browsers. A typical example is "innerHTML").
- Use STANDARD, easy to read and reliable FONTS:
CSS body: FONT-FAMILY: verdana, arial, times;
ONLY these three fonts are consistent in all browsers.
- Use "font-size" in pixel instead of em or pts (Pixel is reliable, the others are not)
- Don't change fonts all over the place: KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!)
- Don't bother "validating" your site: None of the big sites (Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook etc) do validate, but they work on all browsers. W3C validation is following recommendations, they are NOT the law.

For the rest, upload and check your site on the 5 major browsers as you develop it (IE, FF, Opera, Safari, Chrome).
And when you find a tag, a function, a call that is not doing the same thing on all browsers, DON'T use it anymore! Find the right ones, and stick to them!

This is not the best way, but it works for me. I develop websites for webkit/gecko browsers (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc) and make sure it works well in all of them. When I am happy with that I copy the css file to a second file and then change it and use JavaScript to switch to that one if the user is using Internet Explorer.

For the most part, I don't think you can guarantee a font.

This has been the bug bear of developers since the web began! Assuming you're ignoring older versions of IE such as IE6, the best way is to ensure you're using the right doctype and testing your site across these browsers (download both onto your PC).