This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What chemicals/hormones are released when you cry, and how do they affect you physiologically?
11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
What chemicals/hormones are released when you cry, and how do they affect you physiologically?
Are certain chemicals or hormones released that make you feel certain emotions? What happens to yor body & mind when you cry...and why have we evolved for things to happen this way, if you know!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:27 PM

Stress hormones such as cortisol are released. Crying is what is called a distress vocalization shown in animals that are mobile and dependent. They feel pain (emotional and physical pain are the same thing) when they are removed from the caretaker. The activation is seen in the dorsal anterior cingulate cortex and anterior insula. This can be modulated with acetaminophen. What it does is prevents us from straying too far and not being able to survive to reproductive age.

Of course it's much more complicated than that but in a real life scenario- a seal injures it's flipper so it cries out to the rest of the seals to come back and help him. You can see this in "Christmas in Yellowstone, by Nature on PBS." Or a baby gets left alone too long and it cries, the mother comes back and cuddles it. The mothers response also has an adaptive neurology. It's the same reason why we think dogs are cute and women are sexy.

In human behavior there are 2 main effects, go towards or go away from. Crying is the bi-product of our brains making us want to not go away from. It "hurts" to be lonely or have someone die. That is your insula and cingulate saying "this sucks, don't do that again."

This is my current area of research. My partner and I are hoping to prove that facebook replaces people. You are making a distress vocalization with social media.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply