This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FACEBOOK STATUS THEN #?
11-09-2012, 10:20 PM
FACEBOOK STATUS THEN #?
Why do people write a status then put ''#'' and say 1 word after it. I dont get it, explain?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:29 PM

It's a hashtag reference to twitter. If you do that on twitter it's similar to putting the @ sign on facebook (but you don't put a name) basically it does nothing on facebook and is pointless, either they have their facebook and twitter accounts synced or they are stupid.

Ads

You mean they put a number like say 123 as an example and then put a word after that? I think this sounds like a game that was once played by me and a bunch of my friends where they email you on facebook any number like123 and then you write a status message with that number and what you think of them, but when we did it wasn't one word only was several sentences....example: #123 I think you are a very funny and kind person and am glad we are friends. I hope this helps and is what they are doing.

It's a Twitter thing. Those "hashtags" (a # is called a 'hash' and it's a type of tag) are used to group posts together under a single topic, and anyone can create one. Sometimes they grow huge if zillions of users post under the same tag and it appears as a 'trending topic'. Otherwise they're just for individual use.

So some of the ones you see will be tweets in the Facebook newsfeed. Others are people making use of the cool 'look and feel' of the hashtag, even if it has no functionality in Facebook.

Some people have There twitter accounts Synced With Facebook so When they update there status it updates on both networks and # is a Twitter Tag that Refers to Topic for Example when there mentioning fashion it would look like this #fashion or if it was food it would be this #Food hope this helps