This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My parents won't let me have facebook. How could I explain to them that its safe?
11-09-2012, 10:34 PM
My parents won't let me have facebook. How could I explain to them that its safe?
My parents are HUGE on safety. Everyone has a facebook, but i'm not sure how to explain to them that its safe. Is it even safe? I can't tell them its like myspace because they will NEVER let me hav one of those. Is facebook set up through the school district?? HELP ME!!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:43 PM

ha, same with my parents. facebook is much safer than myspace, and its applications and games are just is good, if not better. if you do a web search on "why facebook is better than myspace," you'll find many results and can show those to your parents. did you give them the, "you can trust me..." speech??

Ads

Ask them to set up an account for themselves. Let them explore facebook for a month or two. Offer to NEVER post your actual picture, date of birth, etc on profile. Did you offer to give them the password? Maybe they will change thier mind.

As soon as you Are:
Supporting yourself
Paying your own rent at a different address other than you family's
Paying your own utilities
Paying your own health Insurance
Paying your own transportation
Paying your own recreation.

Paying for EVERYTHING all on your own, THEN, you can get facebook.

You live at home, you follow THEIR RULES and LEARN to be GRATEFUL they are giving you such a nice home life!

Do you REALLY want to face the world alone and get in to ALL the dangers out there that YOU THINK are NOT dangerous?

It sounds like you have LOVING Parents, so DEAL WITH BEING LOVED, Quick trying to DESTROY IT!

Hey! ok, facebook CAN be safe if you:
1. Make sure that you set your profile to private
2. Only accept friend requests if you actually know the person. If you have no idea who requested to be your friend, just ignore it.
3. Do NOT put too much personal info on it. for example, your phone number, your AIM, etc.

As for the school district, the actual schools have nothing to do with facebook; they actually hate it. But you will be listed under what school you go to and what age.

The only way you can really persuade your parents on letting you have one is by saying that you won't put personal info in there, you'll only allow people you know to be friends on facebook, and it will be set on private (pretty much the things I wrote above). haha But make sure you specifically state to them that you can control who looks at your facebook as long as it's on private :o)

Good luck!

Well, facebook is safe but it can also be harmful because your giving out information about yourself. A stalker can easily get other information from those little information from your facebook. Haven't heard of anyone experienced being stalked from it before but it's possible.

if you're going to get a social networking page, facebook is just about the safest there is i suppose. all networks - facebook, myspace, blogger... basically anywhere you give info about yourself on the internet carries risk, but i think if you let your parents explore facebook themselves, they may change their tune.

* ask them to get facebook accounts and check it out.
* if you know how it works, show them the security and privacy features.
* remind them that only people who are your facebook "friends" can see your account.
* have them talk with parents of your friends who have facebook.
* explain to them what you would use facebook for: talking planning get togethers with your friends? homework help? connecting with friends or relatives who live far away?
* if they let you get one, make sure to show it to them regularly. the more they know about what you're doing, the better they'll feel.

facebook is imho a pretty safe place to connect with your friends. as long as you stay on your guard and are smart about how much info you post, it should be enjoyable.

facebook is not set up by the school or sponsored by the school.

The only way you can get them to trust you, is if you proove to them that you're trust worthy and give them your account login and password so they can monitor what you do. Otherwise, i can understand why they have reservations.

Best of luck to you!

You can show them the Facebook terms of use and have them read it. Not to mention that you can report anything that may be cause for alarm (which actually never happened to me, but nice to know that it is there).