This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is having strict parents good for teenagers for their adulthood? Please read and help.?
10-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Is having strict parents good for teenagers for their adulthood? Please read and help.?
I'm 16. Most of the people or friends who I meet my age tells me that I look like or act like I'm going to rebel once I get out of the house. I didn't think that was true until I started acting like I was in private towards my own self. I always look at my friends or who used to be my friends, and they have lots of pictures up of them having fun, and going out. I think some of them were in a Limo going to a birthday party. Which kind of made me feel bad a bit because I never was invited to any.
But here are some the things that I think are strict that my mom and her boyfriend(fiancee) does :
1. Can't have a facebook or a twitter
2. Can't have any social networking sites.
3. Can't text anybody else on my cell phone except for my cousins, my mom and her boyfriend. I can only text like one or two friends.
4. Not allowed to go anywhere with friends or if their parents are their. My mom has too be their at all times.
5. Can't take any pics of myself. I can't even put them on my phone, then they'll think I'll be doing something that I'm not supposed to be doing.
6. Can't date until College. I wasn't going date in high school because things could happen. Then my moms boyfriend didn't want me dating until after college. But I kept asking my mom and grandma about the family tradition dating rule.
7. They won't let me wear clothes that fit or show my curves. They always get something that's big on me or falls off.
8. My mom rarely lets me go out. If she does it's with her.
9. I can't really get what I want. I have to wait for my birthday. My mom can afford stuff. Really she can. But she's just cheap. We have a huge house with a lot of space in it.
10. Whenever he comes over I have to wash his dishes because he never washes them out. Which makes me mad. When ever we go to a hotel he always takes the t.v. remote control, and never let me watches it. Every time he says that I'll get it the next, and I never do.
11. Whenever we get name call each other playfully he doesn't like it. He says I disrespected him. Which I think isn't true.
12. If I don't do what he says sometimes he says that I don't follow directions or listen which isn't true.
Plus my personality came to be shy to extreme shy in the last couple of years. I known him since I was 8. He's older than my mom he's like in his 60's. My mom is 41. Whenever him and my mom gets into an argument he always says she can't respect him because he's a strong independent black man. He's like a activist. He always trying to make me study when I'm trying to enjoy my last days of vacation. He can't live with me.
What do you think I should do? Is this good for my adult years?
I have this feeling that I may rebel once I move out. Or turn 18.
Will college be better than high school? Mostly everybody in high school picked on me my Freshmen year. My sophomore year I moved it was really boring, and nobody really picked on me But my Junior year haven't started yet. Please what do I do?
I make good grades in school A's and B's. My G.P.A. was a 3.4 last year.
I try to keep up with the friends that I talk too. I'm not supposed to be on here either.
I'm just too shy to talk to new people, and I'm very observant and read people like a book.
I found out some very harsh secrets about how he really feels about some of my family members which makes me upset. I was fake sleeping. When I found out. I know too much info. I'm an only child from my mom.
He was actually talking to my mom about our family. My mom just sat their not doing or saying anything until he was done. She still didn't address that with him. Which made me not trust him even more. The only freedom I have is with my grandma my mom don't listen to her hardly. So whenever summer comes I'm always going to my grandma's house because I can actually see my other two best friends who still lives in the same state.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2012, 11:39 PM

Well they are bull shit parents. Fuck em and rebel

Ads

I don't think that being super strict is a good kind of parenting style. I think that you should have some room to grow and do your own thing...while still having some ground rules.

A lot of people with overbearing parents do end up rebelling because when they get their own freedom when they move out, it's too much for them. They go crazy with it.

But you're in control once you move out. Nobody can tell you that you're going to rebel or you're going to do this, or that. You can make decisions for yourself when that time comes.

No it isn't good. My Dad isn't strict, he knows for a kid to learn things about life they have to experience it for themselves. You can warn them but it wont' stop them from making those mistakes.

With that being said I'm 17, I have a facebook, when i had my cell phone I could text anyone I wanted. I don't have it anymore because I was responsible for paying my own bills which got sort of difficult after my summer job ended. I can go out alone or with friends. My Dad only asks that I call him to tell him I'm okay. My Dad encourages to take pictures of myself saying that "you'll only be this young once so you'll want to remember and be happy about how pretty you used to be when you're 80." I had my first boyfriend at 16, I can wear whatever I want but my Dad will advize me about if something is a little too inappropriate or I'm just not dressing well enough for the weather. If he says something I change right away. My Dad is sort of cheap too but as long as it's a reasonable purchase he doesn't mind.

My Dad has let me go out and get hurt emotionally by people and then giving me the advice to pick myself up again. He knows just telling me I can't see someone won't make me not see them or not get hurt, he knows we have to make mistakes to learn. Today I don't do anything wrong, I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I have never sent inappropriate pictures and maybe the most I've ever done was have sex. I have good grades, i got myself a job for the summer and I plan on graduating this year and going into nursing. I know how to handle myself, handle others, I know how to use public transportation on my own and I'm on my way to get my drivers license. I know my city (which is the biggest in the country) like the back of my hand and can get home from anywhere. My Dad did a pretty good job if I do say so myself.

No it's not good. My old friend (not old like elderly, old like haven't seen them in 2 years) had really strict parents, whenever her parents weren't around SHE WENT CRAZY. I ACTUALLY THOUGHT SHE WAS DRUNK AT TIMES. So a lot of time when kids have strict parents, the kids go crazy when the parents are gone. That is the same thing with my cousins too. And i can be like that too, my parents are strict.

it's bad too be to liberal and it's bad to be too strict there should be a happy medium which obviously they don't have. and you are going to do what you want to do you are going to rebel if you want too. sometimes you star by small things and i think you might stupid stuff like coming to this site and asking questions here when you are not allowed it's you starting you might rebel just be careful when you do , cause you might loose yourself. yolo you only live once but that doesn't give you reasons to go out have sex and get pregnant and ruin your life. Be careful with what you do. and good luck with everything

You Should Talk To Your Mom Lettin' Her Know That You Want To Be Her Friend , Discuss Various Issues And Earn Her Trust . You Should Make It Really Clear That You Know & Understand She Only Wants The Best For You And She May Be A Bit Strict Only To Protect You .

Talk To Her And Let Her Know Your Point Of View .

Also Tell Her To Give You Some Space , I Mean No Social Communication What So Ever Seems A Bit Harsh !

Go For Simple Solutions Such As Havin' A Facebook Profile & If You Want To Post Pictures Let Her See Them First .

Parents Hate To Lose ( Control ) Of Their Children So This Way She'll Still Feel Like She Has An Opinion In What You're Doin' .

Keep Up Your Good Grades ! It's Your Future After All And Parents Love To Be Proud Of Their Smart Child .

You're 16 So Always Remember That Life Is Still Ahead Of You . : ) Also , Keep In Mind That Your Mom Was Once A Teen So She Should Relate To What You're Talkin' About !

If You Heard Him Sayin' Bad Things About Your Family You Should Really Tell Your Mom But In A Way That Shows That You Don't Want Anything To Happen To Her Or Your Family As He Might Hurt Them . This Way Your Mom Won't Think You're ( Judgin' ) Him Which You Shouldn't Do .

Just Have A Private Chat With Her Like A Mom-Daughter Thing And Hopefully It Will Work Out !

I Wish You The Best Of Luck !

HOLLY MOLLY!!
I could never live with so many rules. I am a straight A's student i never get in trouble, am allowed to date, am free to do whatever i want online and have a phone i can use for whatever i want. And you know why it works out for me? because i was taught right from wrong and i am responsible and trusted at home.
You're wasting your teen years and idk about you becoming a rebel later on but if you don't become one then you're just gonna miss out on your young years.
Your mom is very overprotective and you should have a talk with her about all of this.

EDIT: you have to go out explore the world make mistakes and learn from them... fall in love with a guy get heartbroken and get back on on your feet. Because once this happens in your adult life it could be pretty tough for you

No, that's not good parenting. Being strict, as in punishing you when you're wrong..that's one thing. But this is more than strict, this is really, really overbearing. You're 16, in two years you'll be in college. Mommy can't hold your hand to all your classes. You have to learn from your own mistakes. It's a really big, bad world out there. You're not going to stay in this clean, protected bubble your entire life. You're going to discover things you shouldn't know, you'll be in situations you shouldn't be in. That doesn't make you a bad person.

My biggest advice: Don't rebel. You'll just do things you really regret. For instance: Going to a party with drugs is one thing. Doing the drugs...that's another. College IS better. You're on your own, your parents don't have total control over everything you do. Granted, you're not a 100% adult yet, but it's a step closer to being one. So just hold in there. Keep your nose clean, and look towards the future.

My parents are kind of strict as well not as struct as yours but I have realised I have started to rebel as wellSmile!