This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How am i related to my third cousin's cousin's daughter?
11-10-2012, 12:53 AM
How am i related to my third cousin's cousin's daughter?
i just found out that my third cousin was my third cousin and i want to know how his cousin's daughter that i met on facebook is related to me
my third cousin is the son of my father's cousin who is a man if that helps at all

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 01:02 AM

cousins of a cousin are always a tough thing around here.
Let's dump the 3rd cousin part for the moment, just to illustrate.

You have grandparents... 2 sets of them. Your first cousin and you share ONE set of those grandparents (just assume it is mom's parents). Your first cousin ALSO has 2 sets of grandparents.. one that he shares with you, but the other side, he shares with someone else.
You are related to the cousin that you have the same grandparents with.
He is related to the cousin that HE has the same grandparents with.
Cousin number 3 does not always share any grandparents with you.. but does share a cousin.
You are not related, unless you share an ancestor.

Ads

Wendy is correct. You are only related if you share a common ancestor and there are 2 sides to every family. You are not related to any cousin of one of your cousins unless they are cousin to them from the same side of the family you are.

However, I am not so sure that you understand what a third cousin is.

Children of siblings are first cousins as they share grandparents.

Children of first cousins are second cousins as they share great grandparents.

Children of second cousins are third cousins as they share great great grandparents

and so on

Your first cousin's children are not your second cousins but your first cousins once removed because your grandparents are their great grandparents. You are a first cousin once removed to your parents' first cousins(not second cousin) as their grandparents are your great grandparents.

You are a first cousin twice(not third cousin) removed to your first cousins grandchildren as your grandparents are their great great grandparents. You are also a first cousin twice removed to your grandparents first cousins as their grandparents are your great great grandparents. You are not their third cousin.

It doesn't make any difference if the cousin is male or female.

Your father's first cousin is your first cousin once removed and his/her children would be your second cousin.

Here is a relationship chart

http://genealogy.about.com/library/nrela...pchart.htm

I assume your fathers cousin who has the son is his FIRST cousin. The son would be your fathers first cousin - once removed. He would be your SECOND cousin and his daughter is you second cousin - once removed..................Family relationship chart