This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can I convince my mom into letting me get a hamster?
11-10-2012, 01:35 AM
How can I convince my mom into letting me get a hamster?
I already have two guinea pigs but there cage is so big that they have to be kept upstairs. So when I'm sick (which is a lot) I'm kinda lonely in my room. I think it would be nice to have a hamster in my room with me so I wouldn't be so lonely.... I know I am already fortunate to have guinea pigs but this Is not about wanting every pet! Please please give me some good advice

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 01:43 AM

Promise your mother that if you get a hamster you will start doing your English homework.

Ads

Hi! I've had hamsters for a lot of my life (but now i got my first rats and their amazing) but anyway you should ask your mom for a Syrian or Teddy bear hamster. Their cages are very conveniently sized to fit on a desk or table! They live individually, so they develop an awesome bond with you! They can run in a wheel for 8 hours straight, so exercise won't be an issue!! Playing with them for a little bit a day will keep them happy and loving! They are super easy to tame, but most importantly they DON'T take up alot of space AT ALL. My mom never had to worry about the hamster because i cared for it, which was relatively low maintenance unless you hammy uses the toilet alot!

Have you asked her yet?
If she says no...

When trying to convince your parents of getting you any pet be calm yet persistent and overall patient, convincing your parents may take some time but if you follow these steps your chances will be much better.
1-Do some extra chores: What parents are looking for is to know you'll be responsible, so doing some extra chores around the house without being asked will definitely help. You can try doing the dishes, keeping the house clean, making your parents beds, taking care of any other pets you might have, cooking for your parents on weekends, etc. Another thing you can do is make sure you get really good grades at school, for example every time you have a school assignment, whether an essay, a book report or a test, study hard and do your best, if you get a really good grade then put it on the fridge or somewhere where you know you’re parents will see it. This way you’ll show your parents how responsible you are both at home and at school.
2-Publicity: Start by doing plenty of research on the pet of your choice and with all the info you gather make a PowerPoint presentation or a slideshow. Make sure to include the Pros & Cons of owning the pet you want, leaving out the cons is not a very mature thing to do. Also add plenty of cute pictures and interesting facts as well as why that specific pet is the best. If you’re not into PowerPoint Presentations or Slide Shows an easy thing you can do is print a document with the info and put in on the fridge or in your parent’s room, you can also just write it if Printing is not an option. Another way you can show you’re serious about this is to say draw a painting of the pet you want and frame it on the wall, or write a song about it or make a comic book about the pet you want. This may sound silly but your parents will see you really really want this pet. Keep doing research and fill up your computer with info and pictures of the pet of your choice, even use a picture of this pet as a screen saver for your phone or computer. Post some of the cuter pictures on Facebook with an interesting fact about the animal. Also whenever you're on the computer and your parents ask you what you're doing, say you’re researching about the pet you want. Another thing you can do is every now and then you can say an interesting fact about the pet of your choice.
3-Money? If money is the reason why your parents have been saying no; some pets can be a bit expensive at the beginning; then try saving up your own money to pay for some of the expenses, if this is not an option offer to pay it off later, you can do this by paying your parents little by little with your allowance money or by working for them, doing chores or washing the car or things like that.
4-Two against one: It is said that the more family members are by your side, the better chances you have of getting your pet. So try convincing your siblings or one of your parents to help you convince the undecided parent. If you don’t have any siblings you can ask for help from distant family members, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. You could even ask help from a friend of your parents, so maybe he/she can talk to your parents and help you convince them.
5-Ask for your pet as a gift: Be a little patient and wait for Christmas or your Birthday, take advantage of the event and ask for the pet you want as a gift.
6-Foster Home: If you have a friend, relative, family member, classmate, teacher, neighbor or anybody that owns the pet you want offer to take care of it for a weekend, tell your parents that the owner left for a little vacation and put you in charge of the animal, your parents will see how well you take care of it and how much you love it!
7-Don't Beg: This never works, it just gets annoying! If your parents say no then don't start crying and screaming, just ask why and if they say "It'll smell" Tell them it won’t because you will keep it clean, if they say "Too expensive" tell them you'll pay for some of it or pay them later, if they say “Too many pets” than tell them that you’ll still take care of your old pets regardless of your new one, and so on and so forth. Just remember to say things nicely, to ask when your parents are in a good mood and to never beg. If you start begging they’ll think you are acting like a baby and never get you a pet.
Remember that when trying to convince your parents being mature and patient is the key.

You cant

You dont take care of the GP so why should they get you yet another pet that you will make up excuses for so you won't have to take care of

You don't need a hamster and your parents have told you no so that means no. Stop asking