This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm 16 and wanting to get into politics. I find some of it hard to understand, any suggestions?
11-13-2012, 05:53 AM
I'm 16 and wanting to get into politics. I find some of it hard to understand, any suggestions?
I was wondering if there was a book that's all about politics and explains everything and word they use. I am very interested in it but I find a lot of things hard to understand.

Thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2012, 06:01 AM

There are plenty of books, yes, just search Amazon.com. I also suggest getting into a Debate class Smile You learn a lot from there

Ads

i know im gonna get thumbs down but start with psychology and sociology, to really understand whats going on with politics.

If you are an American, get very well acquainted with the US Constitution. I cannot stress this enough. Having a comprehensive understanding of the US Constitution and how it has been or can be implemented, and WHY it was written is absolutely essential. It effects pretty much all levels of government as well as the citizenry so understanding it will allow you to understand how you should operate as a civil servant. If you're not American, then get acquainted with the constitution of your respective country. I even think it's important to learn about the constitutions of your political allies and "enemies" so that you can understand the difference between your constitution and theirs.

pre edit*:
Noam Chomsky is a really great American author and linguist who writes about political and geopolitical issues. I also like Naomi Klein, a Canadian author and activist. These authors represent view points that I tend to agree with (not everything). You see, the problem with your question is that most people will answer in a way that represents their own political bias. But I think, to be a good politician, you have to have a comprehensive understanding of all sides of the debate, so keep an open mind and try to see everyone's point of view. Eventually, some things will make more sense than others and eventually you'll find that you share common views with others and that's when you will find your niche.

I also highly suggest that you become well-acquainted Economics since Politics are often influenced by money. NPR's Planet Money has a good podcast that breaks down economic issues in ways that the average person can understand.

Perhaps even more important than Economics is getting well acquainted with History - specifically World and Political History because future events and trends can often be predicted by looking at political events that occurred in the past. The French Revolution is extremely significant, for example. I also suggest watching (good quality) documentaries. You can also sharpen your knowledge by debating politics with other people online. Also, if you happen to find a politician, linguist, activist or scholar who has a twitter or blog, you can perhaps ask them for book suggestions and they might be able to give you a helpful reading list.

One last suggestion: you must also learn to be a critical thinker. It will help you see through some of the flat out lies that politicians, "experts," experts, and news media tells you (mainstream AND alternative). I don't suggest assigning yourself to a political party at such young age. Become well acquainted with all sides of the debate, use your critical thinking skills and logic and it will help you in determining your niche.

I've provided links to some good sites where you can listen to podcasts, check out blogs, find links to other sites, or watch political and other documentaries.

read some books by politicians and try to see there prospective (1 isn't enough)

Watch debates

get into the mind of the three prospectives

The citizens, the politicians and the foreigners