This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How should hide my real identity from my family and neighbours on Facebook?
11-13-2012, 05:57 AM
How should hide my real identity from my family and neighbours on Facebook?
I want to make Facebook account but I don't want my family and my neighbours to know that I am using Facebook. What should I do?
Should I write wrong name,location and age or what should I do?
What are some pros and cons of writing wrong name,age and location?
what should i do so my family could not search me on facebook?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2012, 06:05 AM

Why would you want to unless of course you are very young and think you are pulling a fast one over them.

Ads

Choose a nickname and tell the people that you want to contact you what it is.
If you know the names of others that you don't want to contact you, then the best thing is to block them on the privacy page.
You do not even need to display your birthday or location or even a photo.

Also, select the option that makes you so that you do not appear on the search list

Find this under

Settings>Privacy Settings>Search

Don't see why you would want to though...

The entire point of facebook is a social networking site. It is used to keep in touch with friends, find new ones, and find friends you haven't seen in years, as well as join groups with similar interests to you. Many people have their family on there as well.

Facebook is a very popular and "clean" site. So unless you are under 13 (in which case you shouldn't be signing up to stuff like this anyway) or you have crazy parents, then you really shouldn't feel "shameful" about using it.

Tbh if you want to conceal your entire identity then it won't work. You're right your family won't know you are on there, but neither will anyone else. So you will have zero contacts making your account completely pointless because to your friends and schoolmates you appear as a stranger.

My 86 year old grandmother, 2 uncles, sister, cousins, neighbours, a few ex college teachers, and church friends all use facebook and have me added in their contacts.

Now what would be better is to make an account that is actually you (if not your real name then a nick name, for example Charlotte Smith becomes Lottie Lollipop Smith, if you type your full name into facebook search you will see that even if your name is very rare there are at least 7 others with the same name on facebook. If it's a more common name then there could be thousands, so if someone did try to search you out, whose to know?) add your networks so friends can find you, but just conceal that information. (Don't worry, an outsider cannot break into a network they are not part of, example a college)

You can chose to conceal your age, date of birth, city, school/college networks and your relationship status from your front page. And heck, if you have a display picture of homer simpson or a cat or something then you won't even need to upload a photo of yourself.

You can also add people as limited profile, so they are even more restricted on what they see on your home page.

But....behind the scenes where only you can see you will still have access to all your networks etc. So you can add friends from your school/work/town and similar. And they will know who you are enough to add you back.

That's what I recommend. But I don't suggest signing up to facebook if you believe it is shameful, or you are too young, or your family don't want you to do it, just asking for trouble.