This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If you live in south africa i would like to have your opinion on global warming in south africa?
11-15-2012, 08:51 AM
If you live in south africa i would like to have your opinion on global warming in south africa?
i have a science project about global warming in south africa and need to get some opinions on the subject for my research. please comment and tell me your opinions on global warming IF you live in south africa! thanks!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2012, 09:00 AM

There is a big move from both private and public sector to a lesser reliance on coal for energy. Both public and private sectors are 'greening' their businesses in terms of building, paper, wastage etc etc.

SA is also a very poor country, there are many rural areas with no electricity lines at all so these people have received solar geasers from the government and wind tirbunes nearby.

As mentioned SA is also very poor so we also want to see our economy develop, this saw the growth of the green economy in which we are trying to create green jobs i.e. jobs that are meant to protect the environment and mitigate the effects of climate change whilst at the same time empowering individuals.

Last year we hosted the COP17 and I must say that before not many people were well-versed in things like the green economy, climate change, global warming, etc but cop 17 was on everyone's tongue, it was even trending on twitter! We had loads going on: competitions for schools, for entrepreneurs to create renewable energy. Tons.

I work at the department of environmental affairs, if you want more info leave your email address we can chat about what exactly you're looking for- perhaps I can help.

Sagebrush is correct. I live in Pretoria, we had snow about two months ago for the first time in twenty years! It normally only snows in the small towns on the coast like Grahamstown, graaff reinet, dordreicht, etc.

Ads

Hi there. I am both excited and freaked out. I experienced snow for the first time in my life this year which was nice, but the tornado's are shocking.

I don't live in South Africa but I do know they had snow there for the first time in recorded history this last year.

Rolando: Johannesburg is not all of South Africa. There were parts which never had seen snow before. Then there were parts, like Pretoria, which hadn't seen snow in a long time, 1968. South Africa is a big place.

"I don't live in South Africa but I do know they had snow there for the first time in recorded history this last year." Sagebrush is either lying or misinformed, as the last previous record of snow fall in Johannesburg was on June 2007.