This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I start getting noticed as a writer?
11-18-2012, 12:59 PM
How do I start getting noticed as a writer?
I don't want to write a book yet. I just want to start out writing things that could possibly turn into quotes. I just want to see if people can relate to the stuffs I write or not, and I want to find out if writing is really where I'm gifted in or if this is just an ungifted hobby of mine. For now, I have not shared any of my writings with anyone because I'm not sure if I should or where I could.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Start a blog!

Ads

Heres a few tips, As to be fair, I need to start doing all of these my self.

Start a blog.
Send snippets of your work to magazines etc to see if they publish your work
Send to publishers
Contact an agent, tehy will be able to tell you if your work is worth attenpting to publish etc.

Hope I helped Big Grin

It depends who you want to be noticed by. If you want to be noticed by people who might actually publish your work, then you'll have to approach them - they won't come looking for you. They already have enough people approaching them proactively with publishable work - they don't need to go looking for it. So, you'd have to research the types of publication that publish the type of writing you do (you don't say in your question whether you write fiction or whether you're thinking more of non-fiction articles) and approach them with your work.

If you mean that you don't want to start submitting your work for publication but just want to get some feedback, then your best bet would probably be to take a creative writing class or join an online critique site where writers critique each other's work.

There are actually lots and lots of sites where you can post fiction, or you could start your own blog, or you could post fiction on a deviantART account. However, that isn't usually the best way of getting useful feedback, as a lot of the people who comment will know absolutely nothing about writing and won't be at all well-placed to judge whether your writing is publishable.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'things that could possibly turn into quotes'. All writing is quotable, and being quoted should hardly be your main aim in writing.

Find a free publishing platform, look around the community see what others are writing! and if you feel you and your work would fit in. Having a good community around you is great as you can bounce ideas off each other. A blog takes a lot of work to establish, but I do suggest you use it as a place to find your feet and practice get your ideas out there (it is FREE) everything you need to know is on the net somewhere.
I started out like you wanting to get out there, and have found it to be a Fabulous journey, I am not a writer, but i am getting there and enjoying the success of it along the way

my advice just get out there a do it!
Good luck

I agree with Garth about starting a blog and/or sending your writing to magazines. But don't contact agents until you have something they can sell. An agent's job is to sell your writing to a publisher, not to tell you whether he might be able to sell something you haven't written yet. He has the knowledge to give an informed opinion, but in between selling stuff to publishers and sorting through the hundreds of new manuscripts he received that week, he doesn't have the time.

You can open a blog, where you can share all of your writings.
I made a little research for you, and ran nto an article featuring 20 websites for starting writers, a few websites that you might find useful are the follow:

CreativeWritingPrompts.com
It can be hard to start a story if you're not sure what to write about. CreativeWritingPrompts.com will make sure you never have that problem again. The site offers more than 300 creative writing prompts.

Critique Groups for Writers
critiquegroups.com
This site is easily one of the best places online to join, form and participate in writing groups. Critique Groups for Writers welcomes beginners and provides a comfortable place to share your work and get critiques from other writers. Other site features include publishing newswires and writing forums.

FanStory.com
FanStory.com is an online writing community that welcomes poets, script writers, novelists and short story writers. You can post your work and receive feedback from readers and other writers. The site awards trophies to the best writers at the end of every year.

FirstWriter.com
FirstWriter.com is a very useful website for writers in any stage. The site offers several search engines to help you find publishers, agents and writing contests. Other nice features include detailed information about copyright law, writing tips and writing tools.

Just About Write
JustAboutWrite.com
The creative writing section of Just About Write is filled with thought provoking articles on plot, character, themes and other aspects of creative writing. The site also offers tips on how to sell your writing, advice on how to market yourself and lists of resources for writers.

Newbie-Writers.com
Designed specifically for new writers, Newbie-Writers.com is a good place for new creative writers to learn the craft. The site offers advice, tips, tools and writing prompts. If you subscribe to the free newsletter, you also get a free 85-page writer's guide chuck full of resources

Novice Writers
NoviceWriters.net
This beginner-friendly website is a great place to get peer critiques, writing tips and writing tools. Novice Writers accepts all sorts of creative writing--from fan fiction to original works of fiction or poetry.

OnceWritten.com
OnceWritten.com was created for emerging authors and people who are new to creative writing. The site offers advice, creative writing prompts, contests, book reviews and other free stuff for writers.

The Story Starter
TheStoryStarter.com
With more than 345,935,040 randomly generated creative writing prompts, The Story Starter is the place to go when you need a creative idea. The prompts are designed for writers of all ages and can be used to start plays, short stories, poems and novels.

Writer's Digest
WritersDigest.com
At Writer's Digest, the goal is to teach people how to write better and get published. The site offers tons of resources, including articles, daily tips, writing prompts, writing contests, community forums, blogs, online workshops and markets to sell your work.

Young Writer's Society
youngwriterssociety.com
The Young Writer's Society is for creative writers between the ages of 13 and 25. The site is a great place to post stories and poems. Members can chat with one another and comment on stories that have been posted.

I really hope you found this useful.If you decide on publishing in one of those websites or open your own blog, I would love to get a link and check out your writing.
Keep on with the writing Smile

It really is all about networking and getting your name out there. Start a website, blog, or even twitter, facebook, and myspace. Go to the audience and SHINE in front of them. They will want your book to read if your market it in the right way. Trust me the publishers will notice a success when they see one especially one that's catching fire. (This is all speaking if you couldn't get a publisher or literary agent).