This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I need help....Do pigs fly? Is the water wet?, What time does the 5.00 bus come?..Serious Q inside?
10-03-2012, 02:47 AM
I need help....Do pigs fly? Is the water wet?, What time does the 5.00 bus come?..Serious Q inside?
Sorry about the silly Q's, but I felt like I had to do it. "Yeah its me" prompt me to ask non related Q's within the footy section with her latest Q.

Anyway...With players getting a reprimand or fines over comments made on facebook and twitter, Do you think in future, players will face the MRP/tribunal and cop a week or 2 for their comments..depending what was written to who or whom?

Reason why I ask....is that Luke Jerico (former Adelaide Crow) faces the SANFL tribunal for comments made on twitter...regarding another player. First in history, a player faces a tribunal for comments made on twitter.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2012, 02:55 AM

Depends how malicious the comments are.

If its "Jimmy is such a crap player he doesnt deserve to play afl and all his fans are bogan pricks". Thats fine.

But if they say something along the lines of physical harm combined with a threat, thats wrong.

Ads

OMG i am sorry LOL i am so used to posting questions here that i by accident posted it here i am sorry if i upset you in any manner.

Well AFL, players aren't allowed to speak negatively on social media about umpires. Marc Murphy, copt a fine early in the year. If a few more incidents occur, possibly there may be more substantial consequences

I am with joe, it all depends on what is said, and its context.

But seriously all the stuff i have seen written on those social media sites has been blown way out of proportion, its just people putting their opinions out there... something as far as i am aware is illegal to stop

Well first up, the five o'clock bus comes either a) at 5.45 if you are at the bus stop on time or b) 1 minute before you get to the bus stop if you're late

Next up, I agree with Joe and Whay. If it's a statement that is illegal (defamatory or threatening) or harassing, so they should. I think a lot of people will get a hell of a shock before long about what is and isn't the law. Law enforcement in all forms has taken a while to catch up with the Internet revolution but it has always been illegal to abuse someone and it has always been illegal to write defamatory statements. The trouble is that over the last ten years or so more people have had a chance to write publicly, whether or not they can actually write - as we see too often on this forum. (they also get a chance to play keyboard warrior and take out all those pent up frustrations - whether or not they're able to fight).

It's a matter of time before the rules are reshaped in footy to make a Twitter comment just as accountable as a newspaper article or a face to face conversation.

Kev,

In my opinion, players know the rules regarding social media as much as they know the rules regarding gambling, drinking and drugs.

Any player that has such a low I.Q. that he needs to break the rules doesn't really deserve to be playing Aussie Rules. Let the idiots play some other code of football where they might fit in better.

Eventually someone is going to make a racist comment on social media and I doubt we will ever hear the end of it.

Here's a link to an article about the incident.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/...6459960914
Basically Luke called a rival player an alleged dirty player and told him to go and play country footy after one an on-field incident.