This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
One of my employees called me an "idiot and loser" on her Facebook and Twitter. Should I fire her?
11-18-2012, 01:00 PM
One of my employees called me an "idiot and loser" on her Facebook and Twitter. Should I fire her?
I guess she doesn't know that I would stumble onto her FB and Twitter. Should I fire her, or at least cut her hours in half?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 01:08 PM

shes probably just venting. i would talk to her and ask her why she said that and take some of her suggestions (within reasonable limits) and maybe your employees would like you more

Ads

Tell her you saw the post and to shape up or you will fire her the next time it happens.

i would fire her...employers are really cracking down on what their employees post on social networking sites since it can affect their business. i absolutely would fire her. thats public. im sure most people on here are young and would disagree but thats not good work ethic. teach her a lesson.

She shouldn't have done that, but firing her because of something she said about you on a social media site to her friends? As long as there wasn't any violence implied, it really isn't a good reason to fire her. Be the bigger person.

Give her a brake and let he blow of steam.
Give yourself a break and let her be imperfect.

Everyone likes to challenge authority figures behind their backs wether they are mean teachers or bossy bosses. Most of the time they don't mean it and say it in the heat of the moment due to frustration or anger or feeling hopeless about the situation(eg. More work ,less cash etc. ) try to be easy on your employees.

You need to consult with your HR department on how to discipline, or possibly terminate, the Employee.
You could be flirting with a 'wrongful termination' lawsuit if you don't handle this the right way.

For example, what if someone hacked into her account? Probably didn't happen, but you have to take all things into account and document EVERYTHING before making an untimely, drastic decision.

I don't see how you can work with someone who not only feels no respect or loyalty towards you but insults you through the social media. I would recommend dismissal. You cannot let this pass. Her attitude reflects poorly not only on you but on the business. Remind her that this "looser" is her boss who pays her salary - I would make it clear - very clear - that she is perfectly free to leave as there is no future for her in your organization. If she chooses to stay, make a case, checking on the legal aspect of a dismissal.

I wouldn't jump straight to firing her, she must have had a hard day and needed to vent. Honestly, find the page where it was posted and show it to her, she will most likely be embarrassed and be more aware. If she is a good worker, there is no need to fire her just because of that.