This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What happened to never giving out your Social Security number?
11-18-2012, 01:01 PM
What happened to never giving out your Social Security number?
I thought that we were only susposed to give our social security number out to employeers because that number is only for social security retirement. I tried to get new auto insurance yesterday, and they said the had to have it! What gives? I tried to look up the laws and couldn't find anything. Can someone enlighten me?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Mine is 983-34-0392

Ads

Everyone seems to ask for it nowadays

That's what the law says, yes.

But private companies can refuse to do business with you if you don't. And that's also legal, in a free market economy.

When I joined the military I think my name legally changed to my social security number. I answered to 2619 for a month!

It's almost impossible to get through a typical day without giving out.

everyone wants it to check your credit. your number is out there like a hooker on saturday night

Never say never. All those that have to report income for tax purposes have to have your SSI#. The medical on your car insurance pays for loss of income after treatment following an accident.thus the need for SSI#

Good question. Not supposed to give it out and yet you can't do anything without giving it out. Then they wonder why ID theft is on the rise.

more often then not our whole financial record is tied to our SIN.. many places ask for it but it is not mandatory....
You do not have to give it out to anyone but your employer. the bank needs it for obvious reasons but other then that it can be asked of you but you do not have to by law provide it..