This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you make a MMORPG and or a 2d game?And what is the difference between 2d and 3d games?
11-18-2012, 01:02 PM
How do you make a MMORPG and or a 2d game?And what is the difference between 2d and 3d games?
What programs can I download for free to get me started?
What program should I buy to make the game I would market?
Will I be able to use my own illustrations if I make a 3d game?(i'm purchasing a graphic tablet soon)
Are Gta4, Red Dead Redemption, WOW, and Runescape 3d games?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 01:10 PM

If you don't know the difference between something that is 2D, and something that is 3D, something tells me that you are not cut out for the fourth grade, let alone the video game industry.

Ads

11-18-2012, 01:10 PM

I disliked "The's" answer, but i gave him a +1 because most of what he said I agreed with.

The problem here is your grasp and skill. If you're asking how you can make an MMORPG, I am sorry to burst your bubble, but you just failed before you even started.

Making an MMORPG is not just downloading a program, put some icons and graphics together and then a month later, a game pops out. This isn't the same as breeding a chicken to lay eggs for you.

Making a basic game:

- you can use things like Construct Classic, GameMaker, Torque, Unity 3D, but they all require some level of logic even if most of them are object-based
- you need to understand what graphics are used for what, what file types for what, how to use file types with what apps
- you need to know how to deploy the game and program it in what platform and its basic requirements
- you need to know the legalities of it
- you need a copy writer, lawyer, etc, etc

Making an MMORPG takes:

- the understanding and skill to create the database that store that information
- the web services that calls the game client
- the security apps that secure the line
- the server operating system that houses the game files

---------

This is a very in depth and complicated topic better discussed when you're older or if you have the ability for it. If you cannot even understand the fundamentals that an MMORPG is very complicated to make, then you have a problem here. Differentiating between 2D and 3D will be the least of your worries.

PS: I am not trying to hammer down on your dreams, but I've worked in game development before and have heard a lot of kids say they wanted to create so and so game, but ultimately 99% of them fail before half the game is even complete and these kids actually devote a lot of their time researching and knowing the basics.

-------

Take a look at my answer for a different question: http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind...848AAI7rDs

This talks about social networking web sites. If you read what I said there, even a web site can be complicated to make. What do you think an MMORPG would take in comparison? Most likely a lot more work.

-------

However, to try to encourage you to go after your dream, start off with one of the following:

Construct Classic
Construct 2 HTML5
GameMaker HTML5
GameMaker Studio
Torque 2D
Torque 3D