This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should people be allowed to sue fast food restaurants for causing obesity?
11-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Should people be allowed to sue fast food restaurants for causing obesity?
I'm in a debate class and this is the next topic!
So I'm wondering what people might come up with. Please feel free and help!
In my opinion it isn't the restaurant's fault at all.
People make choices. It's sort of the same with tobaccos.
I'm in a debate class and this is the next topic!
So I'm wondering what people might come up with. Please feel free and help!
In my opinion it isn't the restaurant's fault at all.
People make choices. It's sort of the same with tobaccos.
A woman filed a lawsuit to McDonalds because she spilled coffee onto her lap and she said it was "too hot." McDonalds had to pay about 23 m.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 01:12 PM

no

Ads

I swear they put chemicals in their food to make you want to go back. I am addicted to Wendy's right now. Ha. It is easier to eat fast food than to eat healthy. Tastes better too. But back to the point, we're fat because we choose to be fat. The fast food industry just gives us a tool to get there. They aren't to blame. We are and we shouldn't be allowed to sue them for our own over-indulgences.

In a free economy where the Law of Supply and Demand works fairly well there ARE speed bumps (lard bumps?). As long as people can buy what they want, and as long as companies can advertise almost anything, this is what we seem to be stuck with.
Do companies have any responsibility for selling crap foods that kill our children? I say yes. But people also have the responsibility to educate themselves.

An argument can be made for the conspiracy theory about kids being brainwashed by advertising from the day they were born, getting them hooked by processed sugary foods in a country has rampant juvenile diabetes, eh?

Good luck!

No one is forced to eat in a fast food restaurant every day-they choose to do so. There are healthier meals available. Fixing a lunch at home to take to work is less expensive and a lot healthier. Restaurants should not be punished by having to face law suits filed by people who are too lazy to fix themselves healthy meals at home.

Are they shoving it down your throat? I don't think so! Quit being a fat slug and take responsibility for your self!

Unless there is intentionally misleading or deceitful nutritional information provided by a fast food restaurant, then no, consumers should not be able to sue them for obesity. There comes a point when you must force someone to accept personal responsibility. I believe this is it.

Slowly our freedom to choose for our self is being chipped away and we seem to allow it to happen.

Food doesn't make us fat if we use self control and limit our intake.

What makes us fat is lack of exercise. Playing games for hours on end.

Next they will find a way to take the games or police how many hours we play games.

They are pushing us to the limit.

They will soon be fining us if we have an open container of food in our cars and they will fine us for listening to radio or playing music while driving because it is a distraction.

We have to stop them some way. We need to unite.

If you are going to debate this topic, it seems that the status quo argument is easy. But the other side I would base on "what did they know and when did they know it".
As time has gone by we have learned that fast food places are poisoning us, and they are doing it so smoothly that we can't take all those health clams seriously that tell us that they are not serving us food but obesity, cancer, heart disease etc. The restaurants are clean and the food is served up so pretty and tasty how can we believe that it is bad? They claim as long as it is done in moderation it is not that bad, but it is. Just like smoking, is it okay to smoke in moderation, no it is not human nature to do some things in moderation, you either smoke or don't, your body will get addicted and you will smoke as much as your addicted body desires. It is the same for food. This fast crap has got to go.

This is the tact I would take if you are going to argue the contrarian side.

NO, no one tells you to go there and eat and you dont have to super size everything you get