This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
my runescape account got hacked any tips!!?
11-18-2012, 01:05 PM
my runescape account got hacked any tips!!?
i just need someone to tell me wat i could do

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 01:13 PM

ither contact an admin requesting help, or switch to rebirthro, i find the game play and community better

Ads

First, contact Jagex and tell them your account was stolen. Have them lock down the account so the thieves can't do any more damage to it.

Next you need to figure out how it was stolen. 99.9% of the time, accounts aren't "hacked". Kids willingly turned over their passwords to the thieves. How? By one of the following methods.

1. You visited a phishing site designed to steal accounts. Yahoo answers is full of phishers and scammers that answer almost every Runescape question with a link to a phish site. I'm also bombarded ingame with PM's with phish links. The scammers will tell you to click on this link to join their awesome clan, fill out a moderator application, reply to their forum posts for free gold or some other lie to get you to click the link. When you do, you are usually presented with a login page that looks like the official site, but really is just a fake site that collects passwords.

2. You downloaded a bot or some other cheat that promised you free gold or wealth. Most bots contain keyloggers that steal accounts. The bot makers spent a lot of time developing their cheats and they plan to make money off them by stealing the gold and accounts that kids made ingame with their bot.

3. The account wasn't really yours to begin with. Did you create this account yourself or did you buy it off a website? Most accounts up for sale have been stolen from gullible players that lost them. When the original owner recovers the account, it appears that the buyer was "hacked" when actually it was just returned to the true owner.

4. Did you give the password to a friend? Even if it's someone you trust very well, they could have fallen victim to one of the above schemes or they could have just decided to steal the account from you. Never trust anyone with your password.

5. Weak password. Was your password easily guessed by anyone that knows you. Do you use the same password for lots of game accounts and websites? Someone could have hacked a forum you use and then tried the same password on your e-mail account, facebook, twitter and all the game accounts you own.

Once you know how the account was lost, fix the problem. Clean up your PC if necessary and change your password. Set recovery questions and a bank pin. Then just educate yourself on basic internet security and common scams out there.

change your pw. is what i did.