This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do companies who make gluten free foods still use yeast and to much sugar?
11-19-2012, 02:16 AM
Why do companies who make gluten free foods still use yeast and to much sugar?
And why is it they have no Idea what they are doing
people with a gluten problem also cant have YEAST as it effects the problem GOT IT
I REVISE
people with these types of problems SHOULD NOT HAVE yeast or sugar if they under stood there problem properly and didnt just listen to doctors who HAVE NO IDEA

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2012, 02:24 AM

gluten is a protein found in wheat, not in yeast like your question stated

Ads

Not all people who are gluten intolerant have "yeast problems."

I assume you are talking about Yeast Infections - which has nothing to do what-so-ever with the yeast used in baking breads.

Yeast is not a problem for most people with gluten intolerance.

However, the strong link between diabetes and celiac disease indicates that reducing sugar is probably a good idea.

You should take these concerns up with the manufacturers. Unless we the consumer tell them what we think, they have no way of knowing.

Great question. I ask myself this almost everyday.

I have collection of gluten-free, yeast-free recipes that do not contain any white sugar and are moderately sweetened with agave because of the exact issues you mention.

It's here:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/recipes/

I think you might find it interesting given that we are on a similar wavelength.

Elana

I think you have already received good answers on both sides of the question. Not all people that cannot eat yeast are *necessarily* restricted from eating gluten, and vice versa (i.e. there is more than one condition that causes such intolerances), nor are the foods always found together.

But, I think this isn't so much of a food question as a political-economic-social one...

Take a look at the too much sugar part of the question: it is simply modern US and UK (and a few other countries) inclinations towards sweetening being used as a flavor enhancer...sugar is somewhat addictive, which would be exactly what any modern company wants. This is arguably an indictment of the current way we allow corporations to operate, that they can market something as "healthy" in some form, but undermine the very same food in some other manner, and they have no ethical board or person (or external agency) to ask the simple question "is what we are doing right?" So, this does relate somewhat to the first half of your question, too.

You will find that companies that have a strong single proprietorship or partenership, or at least a board of directors with a single controlling personality are far less likely to commit such ethically questionable acts. Problem is, most single proprietors and small companies eventually either go out of business or get assimilated by impersonal corporate giants.