This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If i get a business administration degree with a concentration in marketing am I limited to only sales and mar?
11-19-2012, 02:24 AM
If i get a business administration degree with a concentration in marketing am I limited to only sales and mar?
I am a freshman in college and trying to gather information on what major to choose. I am interested in sales but do not want to be tied down to only it. Thank you for the help

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2012, 02:33 AM

Probably limit you to Marketing, at least, initially. Although they are related, Marketing is a different area than Sales. Here is a quote from Wikipedia to describe Marketing:

"Marketing and sales are very different, but have the same goal. Marketing improves the selling environment and plays a very important role in sales. If the marketing department generates a potential customers list, it can be beneficial for sales. The marketing department's goal is to increase the number of interactions between potential customers and company, which includes the sales team using promotional techniques such as advertising, sales promotion, publicity, and public relations, creating new sales channels, or creating new products (new product development), among other things. It also includes bringing the potential customer to the company's website for more information, or to contact the company for more information, or interact with the company via social media such as Twitter, Facebook, a blog, etc."

Marketing, then, is the entire act of selling. The Salesperson may be an engineer from R&D, or a clerk from the Receptionist area, but the Marketeer likely went to school to learn Marketing.

So a Marketing degree will make you most attractive as a Marketer and because it is so exhaustive and specialized, not help you much to do anything else.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply