This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What does it mean to be a conservative libertarian?
11-19-2012, 02:32 AM
What does it mean to be a conservative libertarian?
Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have read conservative libertarians believe in reduction of government, legalization of soft drugs, free market, etc.

My question is what makes a conservative libertarian different from a normal conservative and a normal libertarian?
Social terms.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2012, 02:40 AM

Check the questions that ask why Ron Paul is unelectable. They can probably give you the best idea.

Ads

It all depends how you're using the word "conservative".

Is it in fiscal or social terms?

There are a lot of social controls that pure conservatives support and pure libertarians don't. Conservatives believe that things like drug abuse should be crimes and equate abortion to murder, and libertarians believe that people should make their own drug and abortion decisions and deal with the consequences. Pure conservatives also argue for a more powerful state than pure libertarians do. For instance, pure conservatives think that there should be a death penalty.

There are also liberal libertarians, and people who have mixed liberal and conservative views but think the state should be more powerful and respected (or otherwise are at odds with libertarians).

Conservatives and liberals take different stances on what the government should be doing. Libertarians take a stance on how big the government should be, whatever it's doing.