This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I really want to work like creating websites as facebook, google, etc but what kind of profession I have to be?
11-19-2012, 03:12 AM
I really want to work like creating websites as facebook, google, etc but what kind of profession I have to be?
I really want to work like creating websites as facebook, twitter, google, etc, Like Mark Z. made facebook, but what kind of profession I have to be then?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2012, 03:20 AM

Web Designer

Ads

You need to learn the advanced basics of the internet and how everything works before anything, there is so many aspects to it, far too many aspects to list, and each will branch off into another aspect, a whole range of professions is required to be successful, that is why these things are done by teams and entire companies.

A few things to look into:

Graphic and feature design.

Development and programming languages, HTML, PHP, Javascript, C++, Ruby on Rails, and many many more, all are worth a certain degree of knowledge, HTML & PHP being the most important for web development.

Understanding of administration, construction and database handling, Apache, SQL, etc etc.

Marketing, advertising, search engine optimization, affiliation, branding.

This is just a taste, a teaser, the very tip of the iceberg into the HUGE array of things you should be studying and learning about.

If you want to find a paid job creating websites you will need either a University degree or TAFE course in software development. Most Information Technology courses will have software development/programming/website design electives that you can take to learn these skills.

If you just wish to learn how create these websites for yourself then there are many many tutorials online however to be employed you will require a formal qualification

Within the industry there are two different kinds of developers. There is website design where the main focus is on the visual looks and appeal of the website including things like the graphic headers and the layout of the site and creating templates. The other is Website Applications where the focus tends to be more on the functionality of the the website i.e. writing to and reading from a database, creating online stores, pretty much anything involving more than a simple button. Some developers cover both areas but in larger companies (like the ones I work for) the two different tasks are split. For example I am an applications developer so the concept and design is created by our graphics department then it is passed to a website designer to turn the concept into reality then it is passed on to me if it requires any 'programming' for example online booking systems, e-commerce (shopping carts online payments etc), memberships etc.

Facebook, Twitter, Ebay etc are all website applications running in conjunction with a database. To learn ho to write one of these websites you would need to learn about databases and sql along with C++.NET or VB.NET. There are thousands of tutorials online. Visual Studio is the most popular application to create these websites look up some tutorials on it to get started.