This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recently moved to Florida. Can I file bankruptcy in NJ?
11-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Recently moved to Florida. Can I file bankruptcy in NJ?
I moved to Florida in August. Can I still file bankruptcy under NJ laws? Which state's means test would I need to take? I met with a paralegal/document preparer earlier today. Can she prepare the docs for me here if NJ law applies, or would I have find someone in NJ and catch a flight back to NJ for my creditors' meeting and trustee meeting? Also, does anyone know how much cash I am allowed to have in the bank in FL vs. NJ? Do I have to worry about the creditors getting the money I will have in the bank to pay my rent and utility bills on the first of the month?

I know most of you think I should forget a paralegal and hire an attorney, but the fact of the matter is I simply can not afford it.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Great question. If you moved to Florida from New Jersey in August, you're better off just waiting the 6 months residency requirement to commence any consumer bankruptcy case.

I am also a bankruptcy petition preparer and I have created 2 e-guides to help individuals such as yourself file chapter 7 & 13 bankruptcy on your own.

In most instances, you savings is protected under the exemptions [unless you have a significant savings]. I haven't committed Florida's exemption limits to memory, but I can research it for you. A simple google search would bring up the exemption information.

Feel free to visit my website http://www.DocsToWork.com and take a look at my Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Self-File E-Guide and Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Do-It-Yourself Guide. Please share the information on my site hat you find helpful.

Follow me on Twitter @DocsToWork and on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/docstowork
My email is alexfrias@docstowork.com.

Best of luck

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply