This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to stop my children from talking back to me?
11-26-2012, 08:40 PM
How to stop my children from talking back to me?
I have a daughter who's 15 years old and a son who's 13 years old, as well as another daughter who's 12 years old and a son who's 17 years old. About an hour ago, I told my 15 year old daughter to take a shower and go to bed because her bedtime is at 9:30 pm. She got a REALLY bad attitude and told me to "Give her 15 minutes because she's talking on the phone". I told her that she has 2 privileges, either hang up the phone or NO sleepover saturday. She told me "Oh my GOD, let me be DAMN". Yes, she said the D word in my face. So I told her NO party this weekend, and she got mad and hung up the phone. As she walked down stairs, she was stumping and slammed the bathroom door and told me to LEAVE HER ALONE.

Then my 13 year old son and my 17 year old son was playing the video game. There are three bath tubs in our home. I told my 13 year old son to get off the video game. he got mad and said that he BARELY had time to do anything. As he got upset, he banged the walL and went down stairs. Then my 17 year old son on the other hand is going to be 18 years old in a few months. So he mostly has responsibility for his actions. But I told him that it wouldn't hurt him to finish his homework. Of course he thinks he's already grown, so he thought that he was too good to take a shower and complete homework. He also has a quiz tomorrow. So of course I left.

Last, my 12 year old daughter locks her room and chats on Facebook and Twitter ALL DAY. I knocked on her door. She couldn't hear me because of all the music. It took her about 11 minutes to open the door. As she opens the door, she tells me that SHE'S BUSY and NEED privacy. I told her to get off the computer and go take a shower. She also didn't complete her homework, which she sneakily does at 12 o'clock at night. She told me that she took a shower I came home. I understood that, so I told her to get ready for bed at 9:15. She get mad and tells me that her FRIENDS DON'T HAVE A BED TIME. As I was scolding her about her attitude and talking back to me, she slams her door in my face and continue turning up her music.

What is wrong with kids and these technology these days? I work as a physical therapist. I learned that children who doesn't get much sleep often get their growth stunted and weaker bones as they grow older. I am worried about my children and these technology. I need parenting tips FAST.
My husband is a doctor, who works 11 hours per day.
@Frank, I studies more psychology than you ever did. So I know how the brain developes it's stimulative senses and how it can receive information. Please talk what you know before criticizing my parenting skills. I ASKED for parenting TIPS, not what I am doing wrong.
@Frank, I studies more psychology than you ever did. So I know how the brain developes it's stimulative senses and how it can receive information. Please talk what you know before criticizing my parenting skills. I ASKED for parenting TIPS, not what I am doing wrong.
None of my children are sleep right now. I am going to end up in rehab dealing with these children. Imagine what it's like dealing with FOUR children everyday. They say money buys happiness, but not with children, even with an income of 270k.
@Summer Bear, Thank you so much. Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Military or boot camp

Ads

I think a lot of children are like that please know our not alone! You need to make them be responsible by punishing them by taking things away just don't be to strict!

All of that is running on your wi-if, computer, Video games and etc. Go and take the wi-if router upstairs and hide it. just plug your computer into the Ethernet cord directly. Also for your daughter on her phone what you have to do is go to the Verizon website or whatever and just disable it just for the night. Or just when she's at home as punishment. Hope this helps Big Grin

You're not going to like it, but my parenting tip is to be less controlling. Sending a 15 year old to bed at 9:30 with no slack is unreasonable and too early. You need to learn to talk to your daughter instead of threatening her with passive-aggressive choices (do what I say or get punished).

You should also read the literature more carefully. Less than six hours of sleep does result in a change in several hormone levels, but once you get to 7, there is no statistically significant difference in hormone levels between 7 hours and 8 hours of sleep.

Abortion.

give them spaaace

I am sorry to read such things, and I sympathize with how you are feeling with your children. I defintiely agree that you do not deserve such kind of treatment and as their mother, you deserve their respect. I suggest, that you need to set a house rules and discuss it with your kids, so they know the do's and don'ts. Since they are still minors, they are under your care and supervision. Tell them that it is for their own good. Hopefully, you can find a time to sit together as a family, preferably when your husband is off for work. These things must be laid down and discuss, so your children are properly guided. You should not also tolerate such kind of behavior. Either cut their allowances if they talk bad against you, or any other punishment which will keep them aware of their actions. As a parent, you need to be firm, because it is for your children's own good. You are just helping them to be a better person who knows how to manage their emotions and have respect and love their parents.

FIrst thing first... you need to show them ALL that you are the BOSS and what you say GOES!! period!!
Otherwise you'll end up letting them wag your tail!
First thing I'd do is while your children are out of the house.. remove all their bedroom doors.
(they lost those privileges when they started slamming them in your face) As time goes by,, they can earn that door back..but until then NO DOOR!
Second the oldest son needs to understand he's living in your house... until he moves out what you say to him goes...again ~ period! NO talking back otherwise you'll stop his world in his tracks.

You should take all their technology away.. until they understand you mean business.
Children learn from consequences... but I have always said it starts at the age of two.
What they get away at two will show up at twelve and again at twenty-two.
I wish you well on raising the next generation... I found out teaching my two daughters about "respect" is harder since it's more of an action word.
We as Mothers have to teach them how to respect others by first respecting those around you. Respect is earned,,,not given away. It's not easy but stick to your goal of someday they will all be living on their own.
I guess what I'm saying is Make their life a living hell.. Trust me someday they will thank you.
always,
Ladyitch
p.s. Good luck ~ I wish you strength and fortitude.
plus,, being a Mother isn't about a popularity contest..I didn't care if they were mad at me. I felt like if they did like me I wasn't doing my job. The real world is hard,,, and in due time they will find that out.
I always told my two I love you but I don't like what you do and yes someday soon you will be living on your own and until then it's my way or the highway! (Tough love)

Sabotaging your kids devices will make them want to kill you in your sleep. Maybe you should shut the fuck up and leave them alone before you regret messing with them in the way Summer Bear suggested.