This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How did prohibition affect the media (like music, movies, whatever)?
11-27-2012, 06:27 AM
How did prohibition affect the media (like music, movies, whatever)?
I need like examples, any information you have on it.
Also, you can just give me links to websites, I can read through it! Smile

I just can't find any information for some reason on my own, I'm trying. Sad

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:35 AM

Many social problems have been attributed to the Prohibition era. Mafia groups limited their activities to gambling and theft until 1920, when organized bootlegging manifested in response to the effect of Prohibition. A profitable, often violent, black market for alcohol flourished. Powerful gangs corrupted law enforcement agencies, leading to racketeering. Stronger liquor surged in popularity because its potency made it more profitable to smuggle. (word of mouth and reputational advertising)
To prevent bootleggers from using industrial ethyl alcohol to produce illegal beverages, the government ordered the poisoning of industrial alcohols. In response, bootleggers hired chemists who successfully re-natured the alcohol to make it drinkable. As a response, the Treasury Department required manufacturers to add more deadly poisons, including the particularly deadly methyl alcohol. New York City medical examiners prominently opposed these policies because of the danger to human life. As many as 10,000 people died from drinking denatured alcohol before Prohibition ended. This was used by the media to encourage better moral behavior and vilify alcohol.
Making alcohol at home was very common during Prohibition. Stores sold grape concentrate with warning labels that listed the steps that should be avoided to prevent the juice from fermenting into wine. Home-distilled hard liquor was referred to as “bathtub gin” in northern cities, and moonshine in the rural areas of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee. Since selling privately distilled alcohol was illegal and bypassed taxation by the government, the law relentlessly pursued manufacturers. In response, the bootleggers in southern states started creating their own souped-up, stock-looking cars by enhancing their cars’ engines and suspensions to create a faster vehicle. Having a faster vehicle during Prohibition, they presumed, would improve their chances of outrunning and escaping agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF), commonly called "revenue agents' or "revenuers". These cars became known as “moonshine runners” or "'shine runners".
Prohibition also had a large effect on the music industry in the United States, specifically with jazz. Speakeasies became far more popular during that time and the effects of the Great Depression caused a migration that led to a greater dispersal of jazz music. Movement began from New Orleans and went north through Chicago and to New York. This also meant developing different styles in the different cities. Because of its popularity in speakeasies and the development of more advanced recording devices, jazz became very popular very fast. It was also at the forefront of the minimal integration efforts going on at the time, as it united mostly black musicians with mostly white crowds. It increased advertising in a new and totally unexpected way. The KKK actually advertised to increase member ship, and they did swell in ranks. Plus ethical advertising, to back prohibition and increase moral fortitude took place. So you have the origin for not only NASCAR, and movies made on the topic A.K.A.-
The 1932 film Scarface was originally about a fictionalized Al Capone during the prohibition era, and his downfall.
The 1932 film Horse Feathers starring the Marx Brothers includes a famous sequence set in a .
The 1984 film Once Upon a Time in America also depicted prohibition.
The 1987 film The Untouchables chronicled the prohibition period, and the efforts of Chicago law enforcement during that period. (word of mouth and reputational advertising)
It was the origin of thew block parties, because wine was boxed in blocks, henceforth the block party. People would gather and drink homemade wine.
Section 29 of the Volstead Act (of prohibition) allowed the making at home of wine and cider from fruit (but not beer).

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply