This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
With the big Horse Racing events coming up what is/are the biggest problems facing Horse Racing today?
11-27-2012, 06:27 AM
With the big Horse Racing events coming up what is/are the biggest problems facing Horse Racing today?
Which from this list is the most likely problem? Just a note I'm not a Horse Racing expert so i really don't know just going by what i have heard from the News & other sources.

A) Abuse of horses.

B) Steroids used on the Horses.

C) Attendance problems

D) Other/No problems with Horse Racing

Thanks everyone.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:35 AM

C.

I just heard recently that attendance and tv watching of especially the Derby are really really down.

Ads

Please don't listen to the news about horse racing facts, A and B are just stupid stereotypes of the industry.

Anyways, my answer is C)
With the economy the way it is, it's harder for people to attend let alone bet at the races. This year at Tampa Bay Downs, the attendance had dropped by 3%. I'm sure smaller racetracks saw a worse attendence drop.

A. Horses are just like people except they walk on fours, have long faces, eat hay, and have hooves.

The CBA with the equestrian union?

((Squrriel ))) hey I think B and C

IMHO, the biggest problem is the lack of a single governing body. Every other sport has one, but horse racing does not. Without such a body it is impossible to address the problems listed above and others. No one has enforcement authority, no one can set policies that apply across the industry, there is no clear marketing message, there's no lobbying group, etc.

But let's look at your list.

A) Abuse of horses in training is not a big problem. Racehorses are, by and large, a pampered lot even at low-level tracks. They're not volunteers, but they are natural runners and most of them like to race. Crops may look abusive, but they are heavily padded and are designed primarily to make noise. The biggest humane issue facing the industry is what to do with these horses after they have retired or if they never make it to the track. Far too many still go to slaughter or suffer other neglect. The industry tends to support and endorse rescue efforts, some farms have their own retirement programs, and some groups such as the New York Racing Association have anti-slaughter policies. However, there is no consistency and no means to guarantee these horses a future. It should be noted that the problem of unwanted horses goes way beyond Thoroughbreds.

B) Steroids are no longer allowed, so their use has decreased. Of course, abuses occur. The bigger problem is what to do about legal medications. The two main ones are Lasix (furosemide) and "Bute" (phenylbutazone, an NSAID). Lasix is widely used in the U.S. Its purpose is to control bleeding in the respiratory system, but it enhances performance and so is used by all horses, bleeders or not. Bute, a painkiller, makes it more likely that a horse with a minor injury will run and become even more injured, perhaps suffering a catastrophic injury. These medications are not used outside North America (I don't know about Canada). Some entities such as The Jockey Club have come out in favor of a ban on race-day medications, and Federal legislation has been proposed.

C) Declining attendance is certainly a problem. More specifically, the decline in "handle" i.e., revenues from wagering, is an issue. Handle is what supports purses and provides monies to operate tracks. The industry needs to appeal to potential new bettors while retaining current players. Some related problems are small fields of horses and poor-quality races that don't appeal to bettors, competition from other gambling venues, an aging demographic, and high "takeout," which reduces the payouts to bettors. The industry also does not do a good job making money off of non-bettors.

Other problems: star horses leaving training early for more lucrative stud careers, less durable racehorses--whether due to poor training practices or to bad breeding practices, lack of media coverage--especially television, on-track safety issues (breakdowns) and what to do about them, overbreeding, difficulty getting new blood into the industry, and overall sensitivity to the economy.

What's good about the industry? First and foremost, horses! A running Thoroughbred is a beautiful sight. Most of the people in the industry and most fans really do love and care about these animals. Social media has brought new fans. Social media also makes it easier to assist horses in need, and it has made fundraising much easier. Occasionally a superstar such as Zenyatta comes along and makes people fall in love not just with her, but with racing in general. Veterinary science is improving the prospects for injured and ailing horses who would have been destroyed just a few years ago.
---
edited to fix typos

C

I like watching horses race....my sister likes horses so I always watched the Big 3 races. Exciting to watch for two minutes and those announcers are amazing (best announcers in any sport).

Anyway, I think the biggest problem is that it's not about the horses, it's about the money. If the sport revolved more around horses, then it would be better. It's so focused on the owners and the $$$.

a)i won't know the correct answer. thanks yourself Scooter.