This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
need help with my laptop?
11-27-2012, 06:30 AM
need help with my laptop?
i had a pair of headphones plugged into the headphone jack on my Sony vaio laptop, and then i accidentally smashed my hand against the headsets jack and heard a pop sound in my laptop and i remove the jack from the input socket and the headphones jack is still attached to the headphones and then i i tilt my laptop i hear loose bit of i guess plastic moving in my computer and the i take a flashlight and look in the headphones input socket and see that the top of the socket inside has snapped off because i compared it to the mic socket so my question is is it safe to leave the piece inside or should i open the case and remove it, i don't care about not being able to use headphones but my only concern is the plastic getting stuck in something it shouldn't e.g the fan and im worried since ive never opened a laptop and cant afford to go get it repaired since live in a very isolated villi age in south america so what should i do because i looked on youtube how to open a laptop and im scared to break my laptop so what should i do

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:39 AM

Dont open it it will be fine if you have a warranty they will fix it

Ads

Hello!

If you've broken your headphone jack off inside the jack in the side of the computer it is unlikely that the male end of the headphone will go floating about as it is actually inside the part of the motherboard that holds that particular hardware piece.

However, I would reccommend that you get the laptop looked at. Based on the damage you describe, you might have broken something else off when you had your accident. It's also reccommended that you have it looked at, as having that piece broken off inside your audio jack might cause problems with other components in your laptop or possibly short the audio board or motherboard entirely.

If you are worried about having stuff rattling around inside your laptop, you can try to remove the bottom bay door, and unscrew the screw holding the optical drive in place, then slide the optical drive (DVD drive) out of the laptop and then you can turn the unit on its side to see if any screws, plastic, or bits of whatever come out. If nothing comes out you can always take your laptop to an authorized repair center or service provider for an estimate for repair and an evaluation.

>> Geek Squad Agent Kate B
>> Follow Me on Twitter @AgentKateB

It will be fine,

If I were you, I wouldn't want something rattling inside my laptop because that would annoy me so I would take apart the laptop and get it out. It won't break it so long as you put it back together properly. It should be a simple 10 minute job.

Smile

You have ripped out the headphone jack socket.

That pop sound means that you have blown something inside.

That needs to be checked out and repaired properly. Also you
should never leave something loose inside a laptop.

If your scared and have no cofidence then there is no way
you should be stripping it. You could end up causing more
damage than there already is and you'll end up with no
laptop at all.

Living in isolation will not solve your problem. You will
just have to make that trip to a repairer.