This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Writers: If you were published...(Random writerly questions)?
11-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Writers: If you were published...(Random writerly questions)?
If you were published, would you:

1) Offer to read and blurb writers soon-to-be published manuscripts?

2) Have a blog dedicated (keyword) to offering advice to aspiring authors?

3) Have a Twitter account, Author blog, or author Facebook fan page?

4) Read the good, bad, and ugly reviews for your book?

5) Criticize other published authors publicly without being questioned or baited by fans or an interviewer?

6) Do a blog tour if you're asked?

7) Do a regular national tour if you're asked?

8) Sign copies of your books for the local bookstore so fans can get signed copies when they buy the book?

9) Let readers send you their books so you can sign them and mail them back?

10) Do an overseas book tour if your foreign publisher asked (assuming you've sold foreign rights)?

11) Give out bookmarks, bookplates, clothing branded with your book's title (like hoodies that some authors giveaway), pins, or other tangible items branded with your book to fans? [You'd have to pay for it.]

12) Give away books to all your family and friends who wanted one?

13) Hire an assistant?

14) Hire a publicist? [Publishers don't do it all or might not put a lot of money into it.]

15) Communicate with fans regularly on Facebook and Twitter? [Some authors do, some don't.]

16) Give exclusives (interviews, info about upcoming books, or whatever.) to fansites dedicated to your book and/or characters?

17) Hold a contest to have a fan name a character in your book (including using their own name)?

18) Have family and friends go to review sites and review your book?

19) Quote the good fan reviews your book has received on your Facebook, Twitter, blog, tumbler, etc.

20) Follow fans on twitter, Friend fans on Facebook who send you a request, or follow fans blogs who follow you? [I know this is kind of confusing, hehe, but if you have one of these things then you'll know what I mean.]

21) Have a list of fan sites on your website?

22) Give away books to random fans for no reason?

23) Read all your fan mail, including physical letters and email?

24) Accept gifts from fans? Including the innocent like a fan's drawing of your characters to someone's homemade pie.

25) Attend a book club discussion of your book if asked by the book club? If so, would you charge?

Sorry, if you were answered this question and I deleted it. It wasn't showing up in the questions list. :/
Next time, I'll try to keep the questions to 15 or fewer. o.O lol.
Wow. I'm so surprised at the number of people who wouldn't pay it forward with Q1. Big Grin
^

I mean, nothing wrong with it if that's not what you want to do or something you wouldn't have time to do or don't care to do, etc. Wink
In response to the people who don't know what a blog tour is: There are book review blogs that have large followings (or authors whose blogs have large followings) and they offer up space for authors to write posts on the blog (guest blogging) about some topic (usually of the author's choosing). This is a way for the author to get potentially increase sales, new readership, and get their name out there. I think guest blogging is the best way to describe it. Going on a blog tour means you're guest blogging on different blog sites around the same time to get your name and book out there.
^

I should say that with blog tours, you're not necessarily writing an article for the blog, you might be giving an interview for the blog.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

5) Criticize other published authors publicly without being questioned or baited by fans or an interviewer?

No!

Perhaps.

Yes.

8) Sign copies of your books for the local bookstore so fans can get signed copies when they buy the book?

Yes.

Yes.

10) Do an overseas book tour if your foreign publisher asked (assuming you've sold foreign rights)?

Yes.

11) Give out bookmarks, bookplates, clothing branded with your book's title (like hoodies that some authors giveaway), pins, or other tangible items branded with your book to fans? [You'd have to pay for it.]

Perhaps not clothing but bookmarks and bookplates yes.

Of course I would of course.

13) Hire an assistant?

Does my Mom count?

14) Hire a publicist? [Publishers don't do it all or might not put a lot of money into it.]

Nah. Fans can see me as the real me. The person who created the enjoyable read they favored.

15) Communicate with fans regularly on Facebook and Twitter? [Some authors do, some don't.]

Yes!

16) Give exclusives (interviews, info about upcoming books, or whatever.) to fansites dedicated to your book and/or characters?

Yes

17) Hold a contest to have a fan name a character in your book (including using their own name)?

Sure

I'm naturally shy so...self-conciously no

19) Quote the good fan reviews your book has received on your Facebook, Twitter, blog, tumbler, etc.

Yes

20) Follow fans on twitter, Friend fans on Facebook who send you a request, or follow fans blogs who follow you? [I know this is kind of confusing, hehe, but if you have one of these things then you'll know what I mean.]

Follow fans on twitter, don't friend those on facebook, and follow fans blogs.

One or two or three.

Not too much. Maybe the poor or disabled.

Of course I would. Readers deserve it.

24) Accept gifts from fans? Including the innocent like a fan's drawing of your characters to someone's homemade pie.

Of course! It would show that they appreciated my writing as much as I appreciated them for reading it.

25) Attend a book club discussion of your book if asked by the book club? If so, would you charge?

Yes and no. The people support me and that's salary enough.

Ads

Probably not full manuscripts - I'm a writer not an agent or editor. I'd help out with query letters or basic writing tips, though.

No - I might have a few tips and tricks on my official website.

Twitter, yes - blog no - fan page yes Smile

I don't know... I would probably only read the good reviews at first, so as to not destroy my self-esteem.

Nooooo.

Blog tour? What's that? Book tour, totally.

Yes.

Yes

Seems like a waste of shipping to me...

YES! I would love to do this! I've never been overseas before.

Probably not.

No, I'd probably make them buy it.

13) Hire an assistant?
YES! Can't wait to afford one. It would be for life stuff, though (bills, laundry, errands, etc) and not for book stuff.

Maybe.

I'm pretty extroverted - I can't imagine being stoic and non-responsive to fans.

I doubt my books would have fan sites, but if it did, I'd give interviews to fansites, sure! I imagine they'd have the best audience, after all!

No.

Yes. What!? Don't judge me Wink

Maybe. I like what John Green does and responds to random questions like "is this book any good?" with "I've read it... it's okay."

20) Follow fans on twitter, Friend fans on Facebook who send you a request, or follow fans blogs who follow you?
No - I'm not a mutual follower. I'd get myself lost in content that I don't care much about. I don't need to know what a fan is eating for breakfast.

I can't imagine any book of mine having one fan site, let alone multiple...

Sure!

Certainly! I doubt there will be much lol

Why not

I wouldn't charge, no. I'm not a fan of book clubs, but maybe I'd do a life web chat thing.

I imagine the way I feel about interacting with strangers who read my writing wouldn't change much from how I feel about it now, so on that basis...

No, not unless I'd beta-read the book.

Nah. Millions of the things already.

No. I'd have a website.

Yes.

No. Their books, maybe.

No - I'm not a blogger so I'd probably make an idiot of myself.

I have no idea. Probably not. I have two kids and a day job.

Maybe. It would be good to support a local store instead of everyone going to Amazon.

That sounds like a major pain in the rear end. No.

Again, I wouldn't have time.

No.

No. Sorry, but if they want to read it they can buy it. I don't expect my friends to do professional work for me for free either.

13) Hire an assistant?
To do what?

I'm not interested in being published at that level.

No.

Probably. I mean, I'd rather talk about my characters to people who actively like my writing than to people who couldn't care less and are only interested in how many books I've sold.

Ew. No. I might consider a contest to supply names where I picked a winning _name_. But no way would I commit to maybe having to accept Crystylle Marysue.

Hell no. I wouldn't even do that with my fanfic.

I think that's up to the publisher.

I don't do any of those sites, so no.

Probably. I mean, having started out as a fanfic writer I'd like to have somewhere to point anyone who tried to send it to me, since I'm aware that reading it myself would be a Really Bad Idea legally.

Not for no reason...but it might be fun to, for instance, run a little contest for people to draw fanart associated with the book? Since I have all the artistic talent of a dead frog, it's not like I'd ever pass it off as my own...

I'm cheerfully saying "yes" from the position of a fanfic writer who gets, if I'm lucky, two reviews a month. For as long as it was practical to do so, yes. I appreciate that bestselling authors simply _can't_.

If it was posted to me, there wouldn't be much else I could do, would there? I'd love drawings.

That would be way cool. If it was local? No, I wouldn't charge. If it wasn't, it would probably be impractical (see above comment about kids and job).

You bet. My publisher needs to know I'm a team player. This is simply good business.

Again, pretty much expected of the team player.

And more team player BS--how am I supposed to make time to write, again?

I will try not to read my reviews and let writing friends direct me to the good ones--but I know most authors do not have the strength to do this. (And yes, they're stung by bad reviews.)

Never, even those who richly deserve it. My name is synonymous with a brand name once I'm published, and I will not tarnish it.

I'm not really sure what a blog tour is, but sure.

Definitely. I have writing acquaintances all over the US, people I've met online. I'd love to meet them and sell some of my books in a single trip.

Absolutely. I already signed a writing conference program sheet. The girl could not be convinced I was nobody, just some bozo with a few short stories.

Yes, but I'd need hand-holding. Want to come along?

If and only if my publisher believed the uptick in sales would make it worthwhile. That seems unlikely with clothing.

No. I get a limited number of free copies, a pretty small number, in fact. If they like or love me, they'll buy it.

13) Hire an assistant?
No. Maybe a maid, though!

I doubt it. I'm pretty shy and don't relish 'events'--and I'm not convinced publicity = sales.

Specific fans in a limited way. I won't have time for online buddies. But I will attempt to add content to FB and Twitter for my fans often, and try to make it worthwhile.

If my publisher thinks it increases the buzz. (What, I'm getting a buzz? For my *writing*?) Buzz = sales.

Sure. My work always has a few innocuous walk-ons. I might even try to make room for a character the winner defines, in a small role.

No. If my book is good, I won't need to send in shills.

Yes. Here's my best so far: "A few stories save the collection from total mediocrity. [My Penname]'s “Whatever It Takes” is a satiric gem..." I'd be foolish not to use that.

It 'costs' me nothing to return a follower. I don't have to actually view it.

1) No.

2) No.

3) Yes, probably.

4) Of course!

5) Their books, yes.

6) Not sure what this is.

7) Yes.

8) Absolutely!

9) I don't see why not.

10) Absolutely.

11) Yes, I love that sort of stuff!

12) It would depend. I would like to think that they'd buy the book and support me.

13) Maybe.

14) Maybe.

15) Yes, definitely.

16) Yeah, of course!

17) Yes, sounds like a fun idea.

18) Nope.

19) Sure.

20) Yes, providing there wasn't too many of them.

21) Yeah, sure.

22) No.

23) Yes! Definitely!

24) Of course.

25) Yes and no, I wouldn't charge.

Sure, this sounds like it would be interesting.

No. I hate giving generic advice.

Maybe. I never saw the point in Twitter, and I fail at keeping a blog, but a facebook fan page I could probably manage.

You bet.

Nope.

Maybe

Yes. That sounds fun and a good way to market.

Yes.

Yes.

Sure.

I doubt it. Maybe every now and then for like a special event.

Yup.

13) Hire an assistant?
This seems unnecessary. I guess if I really needed one.

If I thought I needed one then sure.

Yes. I think it would be fun to communicate with fans.

Sure. Assuming I had a lot of time on my hands.

Maybe. Only if it was a character who's name didn't matter all that much to me, or I really couldn't think of a name. I'd hate to do this chose the winner and decide I really just can't use the name or something.

Only if they really wanted to. I wouldn't pressure them or bug them to do it.

No that would just get annoying. No one else would care about the review except me.

Probably not. I don't see myself really getting into Twitter. Maybe blogging but I'd only follow them if I thought their blog was interesting. I'm not going to follow them just because they're following me.

Maybe.

No. I would for a reason though.

This would depend on how popular I was. If I wasn't that popular then yes I would. But if I were majorly popular than I probably wouldn't have time to read it all.

This would make me feel awkward. But I guess it would be even more awkward to turn it down.

Sure I'd attend. It could be interesting. No I wouldn't charge, that just sounds petty.

1) I probably wouldn't offer, but if the publisher asked, I might read some of them and offer a quote to any manuscript I thought deserved one.

2) I might do an occasional post of advice for writers, but wouldn't have a blog exclusively for that purpose.

3) Twitter - probably not. Blog - maybe. Facebook - if it's a fan page, wouldn't that mean it was made by fans, so I shouldn't have any influence over it?

4) To begin with, but I'd probably give it up after a while. The temptation to argue with reviewers would become too great after a while, and no good ever comes of it.

5) Not unless my publicist told me to, and convinced me that the controversy would generate enough sales to make up for the ill will I'd generate among the other authors' fans. I'm so cynical sometimes...

6) Sure.

7) Sure, if the publisher paid for it.

8) Yes.

9) As long as they paid the return postage.

10) As long as it was somewhere I'd care to go on holiday, and as long as the publisher paid for it.

11) Not if I had to pay for them. Fans would come to expect them, and I probably wouldn't be able to afford a lot of them.

12) Not to everyone who wanted one - only to people who'd helped me before I got published.

13) Maybe, if I was busy enough to justify one, or if I could afford one.

14) Maybe, if I thought he would bring in a lot more money than he cost.

15) I don't know about "regularly", but I'd try to do it.

16) Yes.

17) God no. Actually, maybe I'd do it for charity. If the fan insisted on naming the character after himself, I'd make something ridiculous and/or humiliating happen to him.

18) No. Readers can almost always tell when a review has been written by someone who is... let's say "predisposed to favour the author."

19) Possibly, but I'd much rather quote from professional reviewers. The trouble with quoting fans is that nobody knows who they are, and so people who don't know them will probably assume that the "fans" are actually your mum or your best friend.

20) Probably not.

21) If there were only a few of them. If there were lots (I can dream, can't I?) I would either have to list all of them (which would confuse new fans who wouldn't know which were the good ones) or pick the ones I thought were best, and risk pissing off the fans who I didn't think had good sites.

22) Probably not.

23) *Read* all of it? Sure. *Answer* all of it? Highly unlikely.

24) The post office will usually refuse to carry anything edible or perishable... Where I live at the moment is very short on space, so if I received more than a few "gifts" I'd have to ask fans not to send them.

25) If it was somewhere I could get to without having to stay overnight, I'd consider it. I'd probably just ask for my expenses.

(Sorry for cutting out the questions, but Y!A seemed to think my answer was too long otherwise. Me? Long-winded? Whatever gave you that idea?)

*** If I knew the author, was asked to review, & liked their work then yes. Otherwise no b/c praising bad work is bad for your business and publicly criticizing others is even worse.

*** Definitely not unless I was teaching a work shop. I don't want to see writing as a profession or I'll lose the love for writing. And most advice is subjective.

*** Yes. For fans, it's a must. Those are the people who pay me. It would be a poor show of gratitude to just take their money and ignore them.

*** I would likely pay attention to defamatory critiques that could affect my sales revenue and the critiques by the most important industry institutions.

*** Nope. Never. That's social suicide. You might as well buy all of your own books, pile them in the middle of central square and host a book burning ceremony. There goes your marketable name.

*** Doubt it. Depends on the situation and for whom.

*** No. I have a daughter, a life. I can't just up and go on book tours. I'm not in it to play the fame game anyway.

*** Only when I know that I can bring customers in. Book stores expect authors to bring customers.

*** If they included a return shipping envelope with paid postage? Yes.

*** No refer to question 7.

11) Give out bookmarks, etc
*** It's pretentious to assume people would want it. I write for adults so this would be tacky as well. If I was a children's author then perhaps...if I knew I could sell it

*** Just strangers. Family and friends can borrow from me, strangers share with other strangers.

13) Hire an assistant?
*** No. Unless you count an agent as an "assistant"

14) Hire a publicist?
*** Yes, of course. And I'd have 80% control of my publicity campaign. I have quite a few excellent promotional ideas that have never been tried by authors.

*** Yes, refer to question 3

16) Give exclusives to fansites dedicated to your book and/or characters?
*** Of course

*** It would be something to consider. Probably do something better than a name though.

*** No. That's cheating.

*** No. That's like tooting your own horn and is very tactless.

20) Follow fans on twitter, Friend fans on Facebook who send you a request,...
*** No. I'd reply to who ever left me messages and leave it at that.

*** Only if they benefited from it by increasing traffic to their site/promoted them. Otherwise its tactless.

*** Yes. I'd give them to those who couldn't afford them or had some sort of issues. Not to those who could afford them. I'm there to make money after all.

*** Probably not all of it, assuming there is a lot.

Maybe.

Yes, I would.

I'd have a blog, but nothing else.

Yes. If only to learn what I was doing wrong or what I could improve on. Bad reviews are the best you can get, they teach your something.

5) Criticize other published authors publicly without being questioned or baited by fans or an
interviewer?
I wouldn't butt kiss, but I wouldn't completely trash another author, even if I didn't like them. I wouldn't like it if someone did that to me, so I wouldn't do it to someone else.

Maybe

Not regularly, no.

8) Sign copies of your books for the local bookstore so fans can get signed copies when they buy
the book?
Yes.

Yep.

Yes.

No. I don't want my work to turn into a novelty item. Bookmarks, maybe. That's it.

Yes.

13) Hire an assistant?
Nah.

No.

Other than a blog, no. I'd talk to them through that.

Yes.

No.

No, that's cheap.

No.

I'd follow the blogs, but not all of them.

Maybe.

Yes.

Yes. It irritates me when famous people don't, I don't care how busy they are.

Yes. Within reason. Drawing are fine, little presents, but not an actual gift that's bee paid for.

Yes. I wouldn't charge.