This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What do Americans picture life in China to be like?
11-27-2012, 06:43 AM

In the rural areas, there's farming going on with hand implements instead of too much mechanized equipment, although I understand that's changing fast. In the cities, the kids run around with fancy phones and iPads and the latest in sport footwear pretty much like they do in the U.S.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Isn't it like Elbonia in "Dilbert"?

Ads

你为什么主宰中国? 你明不明白拼音?
Ni wei shen me zhu zai zhong guo? Ni ming bai pinyin ma?

Sorry for not adding the tones!

Edit:
hao le, hao le. Ke she... wei shen me zhongguo? Zhong guo ye zhen lung ba!

In the cities it is very much like America. They are modern cities with people driving nice cars and having nice fashion, but in the country areas, the people are very poor and live much like they did hundreds of years ago, but that is changing. Many people come from the country to work in the cities, but cannot afford to live in the cities. Also, the chinese do not have freedom like we have in America. The Chinese can not talk about politics if they do not like the government. They do not have freedom of religion in China. The Chinese government controls the news more than they do in America. The Chinese can lead happy lives, but they have no political freedom at all.

Not much different from USA since I had been to both countries. The government is "communist" in name only, as the citizens have as much, if not more, freedom and liberty than Americans. Americans tend to have the misconception that there is no free enterprise in China, but the fact that free enterprise is so widespread that it is not surprising that once in a while we see news of "tainted milk", lead-poison toys, etc, precisely because there are too many enterprises, businesses for the Chinese government to effectively monitor and regulate them.
Culturally, the Chinese are one of the most hospitable people in the world, and they welcome and like guests (especially to their homes or country).

One should not concern themselves with petty details about the enemy.

Human nature is the same world wide.

Most people are decent.

It's the governments that empower their citizens or oppress them where you have the problems.

Visit China?

No thanks, I'm quite happy in the USA.

All I know of China is what I have seen in the news and what I have watched in documentaries. Neither plant it a very good picture. From what I have seen, the people are scared of their ruler. They aren't allowed to speak their own opinion of him or they could be killed. The government controls the internet and the news. Their rules on child limits is cruel. Leaves so many unwanted children..girls.
I don't think it would be a nice place to live.

I have the following conceptions:

1) A stark rural-urban dichotomy (lifestyle difference) with a large amount of urban transients from rural areas. I'm rather ignorant of Chinese culture, but to my understanding the transient population is due to urban economic opportunities mixed with family ties and obligations in the rural areas. I do know that China's urban areas are growing very fast with unequal benefits being created in the capital "core" areas (major cities supporting manufacturing and administrative services) and the fringe (rural areas often subjected to the economic 'will' of the core areas by resource commodity dependency and market exchange).

2. I have the conception of a powerful central government. This, so I've been told from some Chinese friends, is perceived of as necessary in some circumstances such as population management (to avoid a 'malthusian' crash). I perceive of a larger government role in everyday life and less individual agency options for the individual. Alot of the options peopel have in life there, in my perception, is largely determined by forces controlled by the state. I suppose that is true in all countries, but in China I perceive this to be a large determinant of individual choice and action.

3. I think of a very diverse country. From west to east and north to south there are many ethnic groups, local traditions and cultures, languages and ways of life. I think of a wealthier, more 'westernized' group of people living in the major urban centres of the East, and a poorer more traditional class of people living in the countryside and in the West.

4. From a very subjective, extremely generalized stereotypical viewpoint, I think of the average Chinaman as poorer than an American (but not third world poor), living in a large city, working in the secondary sector, and displaying a unique social identity parly influenced by western media and capitalist way of life and more traditional ways of life... but being generally supportive of big government.

China is an awfully large country. Pretty much anything you can think of would apply to some area of China. From modern and wealthy Hong Kong to dirt poor, primitive villages, to nearly impassible mountains to fishing villages.

Which part of China have you been living in?