This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Whats wrong with my laptop!?
11-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Whats wrong with my laptop!?
I have a gateway nv5302u laptop. The model number is MS2285. The power button cable stopped working and it would turn on sometimes if I moved the lid a certain way (because the switch is on the hinge on the lid). It finally stopped turning on and I took it apart. I discovered that the power button cable was completely stretched and split in two. I ordered a new power button cable and installed it. I also ordered a new LCD cable and installed that. I reassembled the whole laptop after checking over the two simple installations I did a dozen times. I reinstalled the battery without plugging in the charger and pressed the power button and it turned right on. I almost immediately started to smell smoke and I pressed the power button to turn it off and it wouldnt turn off... so I pulled the battery out and it turned off. During this whole time, the monitor never turned on, I just smelled smoke.

After a few minutes, I put the battery back in without touching ANYTHING and there was smoke that came from the fan. I removed the battery and the smoke went away. I put the battery back in and seen smoke again. I took the battery out and let it sit for 10 minutes. I reinstalled the battery and pressed power and nothing happened. I plugged in the charger, and the charger light would go off, and the laptop never turned on. I waited 3 hours and now the charger light stays on when I plugged it in, and the power turns on, but the screen doesnt turn on. I hear the fan spin right after I press the power button and then it goes silent. If I hold the power button it wont shut off... I have to pull the battery to have it shut off.

Nothing was ever wrong with this laptop except the LCD cable and power button wire. I installed everything correctly.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:45 AM

Hello!

Based solely on your description, I would venture to guess that you have burned out one if not several of your components in your laptop. Laptops do not emit "smoke" or "smell like burning" as a general rule.

If you were my client, I would not reccommend that you continue trying to use the laptop at all. Do not plug in your AC Adapter or put your battery in the unit. I would suggest you take it to an authorized service provider for a comprehenisve diagnostic.

If you are comfortable doing so, take the unit apart and look for burned, scorched or melted wires around the DC jack, and the LCD cable and the power button cable. Also look on the motherboard and the power button board for evidence of surge damage.

Good luck!

Geek Squad Agent Kate B
Follow me on Twitter@Agent Kate B

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply