This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Regretting First Real Job After College...What Should I Do?
11-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Regretting First Real Job After College...What Should I Do?
Hello guys,

Here is my situation. I recently graduated college in May and accepted my only job offer back in March. The position is for a retail store management position. I graduated with a degree in marketing and I know I want to do marketing research or something that actually utilizes my degree for the rest of my life. I can't see myself working as a manager for a retail store forever because I don't see much room to grow salary wise and I felt like I only accepted the job because of family pressure and I wanted to not be stuck without a job when graduating college. I've worked retail ever since high school and I know I am naturally good at it because of my experience but I hate the hours and knowing my salary won't increase quickly. I want to stay only at least a year max because then I won't have to return the signing bonus the company gave me. However, the stress of being away from home and my girlfriend is making me said because I am living 11 hours away from home. Would it be ok for me to be looking for a new job if I am unhappy with my current situation? I have student loans to pay off and I really do need to work to pay them off asap. Thanks!
The signing bonus was only $2,500. Would it hurt me in the long run though? I know I don't want to be in retail forever and I already have good leads back home because of my own personal and family networks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:45 AM

If you don't mind paying back the signing bonus, go for it...why stay in a job that you don't like. Just keep the job hunting on the quiet side and be prepared to pay back that bonus.

Ads

It is always hard when you accept a job just because you need a paycheck and not because you really like the job. However, you agreed to work for a sign on bonus + salary. Most company's do not pay the total sign on bonus up front. What portion of the bonus was paid to you? If it was half, then are you only obligated to work six months? If so, by all means, start looking now for your dream job because jobs are not easy to get right now. If a miracle happens and you get offered your dream job in a month, then be a man and repay the sign on bonus. But do think about your reputation as well. The business community can be a very small one especially with Facebook, MySpace and the like. Be very sure that you can also weather whatever fall out might happen if you quit before the year is up.

It's OK to be looking. You don't say how much that signing bonus was. If it was maybe $2000, it's probably worth it to just pay it back if you find something else. But if it's $10,000 or something like that, think hard before leaving.

Good luck.

My boss, Starbucks manager, was a graduate from UMD and forward 15 years later she's still where she's at. She hates her job, because it's controlling her life. You should get out while you still can. If you hate it. then quit. No more excuses bro, just leave and find a better job because I can tell that you deserve better. good luck : D

I know the same thing with me i just finished college and cant find a job. My parents told me to go see if i could become a manager at a retail store but i dont really think it would be a good choice. I would try to find another job with your degree before leaving. Having a decent paying job is better then none.