This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will a graphics card solve my problem?
11-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Will a graphics card solve my problem?
So my Integrated graphics card looks like this "https://twitter.com/i/#!/Rastapapaaa/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FUI5XO8iA" which clearly means its burnt out/fried. My problem started when the computer would turn on (all fans working and what not" but there would be no display on screen, just no signal. I did the ususal testing of cables and monitors to rule them out, and after some digging and reseating I noticed my gfx chip looked like that. Will putting a basic graphics in the PCI slot do the trick as a fix? I only want a display on screen, I dont plan on playing games or even going on the internet. I just want to get this working. Thanks in advance

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:46 AM

hi steven
well it depends how much damage ( if any ) has been done to your motherboard( since your intergrated graphics are part of this ) ... however adding a basic pci based graphic card may fix your problem.. but again this depends if the pci slot has been affected or not
one problem you have is even if you can use the pci slot you still need to access the bios ( using intergrated graphics ) to change the device settings so your pci slot and the card in it become the primary graphics adapter
you may be lucky since some motherboards will automatically change the bios settings as soon as it detects a different graphics card/adapter and if this is the case then you only need to fit a pci graphics card and connect your monitor cable to the appropriate port on the card
however if your motherboard requires user input to change the settings then you wont be able to change the bios settings using intergrated graphics as they are not working
have you tried resetting the bios... open the pc case and locate the small cell like battery on the motherboard ... then remove this for 20 seconds and place it back in ... start up the pc and hopefully you will see the post screen .. then press delete to enter the bios ....
in summary if you have a modern motherboard then you should be able to simply fit the pci graphics card and the bios will automatically change the settings ... however if its a older motherboard you may be stuck and the only solution is to try resetting the bios as directed above
i hope this helps .. any questions let me know
good luck mate !

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply