This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My mum won't let me join ANY social networks!?
10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
My mum won't let me join ANY social networks!?
Help! My mum wont let me join any social networking site and i dont know what to do. She told me not to join things like facebook and twitter, so I joined an app called instagram. It's not as well known so I thought that she would never find out I joined it. The other night she asked me: "are you sure ur not on any social networking sites?" I said no, she then said "So u haven't been putting photos of urself on the internet?" I lied and said no again. On instagram u just post photos up of things (including urself) I dont know if I should tell her or not and if i should keep going on instagram or not incase she finds out. If i quit instagram my friends will ask me why im not on it anymore and im too embarrassed to tell them that my mum wont let me. PLEASE HELP!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Social networking is not as awesome as everyone says. I only use GetGlue. And just so you know, instagram is really well known. If your mom asked you the specific question about pictures, she probably already knows and is giving you the option to tell her first. It's better to tell her.

Ads

You have a pretty paranoid mom. Nothing will happen as long as you only add and talk to friends that you have actually met in person. But in reality, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. Your mom doesnt want you to use social networking sites, that's all there is to it. If you really want to use sites like Facebook, instagram, etc., than you need to make an argument for yourself

your mom has a point, she wont let her daughter (or son) looking stupid by doing duckface in facebook....gosh I hate when girls doing that!

(1) you should have done what your mom said. Believe it or not, she does have reasons for what she does.
(2) don't lie. Shes going to find out sooner or later. The longer you wait the more mad she will be.
(3) it doesn't matter what your friends think. If your afraid that they will make fun of you, deal with it. If you LISTENED to your mom this never would have happened.

instagram is actually big and well-known now a days and you could just tell your mom the truth now.if you just tell the truth later she'll just get more mad.i think that the earlier you tell her the truth,the less mad she will be.oh and just dont be afraid to tell your friends if you quit using instagram.im sure your friends will understand.

Emily is the only one here with solid advice. You really should listen to your parents.
They will usually try to do what is best for you (though sometimes it also could be whats best for them).

But i know computers and the internet very well Tongue

And even though your mom probably isnt basing her logic on anything but maybe a feeling or blind paranoia, but she is correct in keeping your form social networking.

Social networking is a VERY bad thing, especially for younger people. Here is some reasons

You are keeping all your information in one place and open to ANYONE on the internet. Dont think the, o you have to be friends with someone thing really stops it. Its pretty easy to get the information from someones facebook without even having a facebook account lol
Now why is that bad?
well the biggest one is identity theft... you are just begging scammers in Nigeria to become rich and put you into debt lol. Also there are alot of creepers to the internet, so ya it could definitely lead to things you dont want, especially if you are a female...
Also people seem to hate invasion of privacy, yet you are compiling all your information, and all your activities and photos of yourself online open to anyone. Well you definitely save the government time and money on keeping tabs on everyone...

Another thing is lots of employment places and even schools now are turning to these sites to keep tabs on their students/workers.. not only are they knowing what you are up to all the time, but it can get you into alot of trouble...

So if you want to use a social network, you shouldnt be using ANY real information or any real pictures of yourself. Actually it applies to the internet in general, you should not be posting any real and important information about yourself where its accessible by the public.

When you go to amazon or ebay, ya its fine and you need to use real information. But that information is secured, and also those pages use SSL encryption for your traffic while on pages containing your personal information. So really only you, your household, and the server will know the info you are inputting for that.

So even if your mom might not know as much about computers as you do or something. And even if people around you think you are amazing at computers, because they dont really know how to use them.
I guarantee you dont know anything >.>
so id get the idea out of your head, where you think you know everything, and nothing bad can come of social networking lol

Layla, If you are under 16 years of age, then what your Mom says is quiet right.
Your Mom's assumption is something like her child would spend so much time in these unnecessary things and start to forget about other things that are very much more important.

Explaining it in more detail or revealing relevant facts or ideas might help sometimes. You need to clearly explain your point of view and how good!! and useful it would be if you have a Facebook account.

And I have a question for you. : What brings you here on Yahoo Answers??!!. Just to ask this question or do you use Yahoo answers frequently?.

Ask your friends to join here (rather than on FB or Twitter or Instagram) and share knowledge and good thoughts. A very good community is being build up here for years. Make use of some good resources available on the internet.