This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I need help?!? My friend wants to commit suicide?!?!??!!!?
11-27-2012, 06:43 AM
I need help?!? My friend wants to commit suicide?!?!??!!!?
A friend of mine wants to kill herself and I really really want to help her. However, she lives in another state and I don't have any way of contacting her parents or anyone else who could help her. She really wants to die and I've tried to convince her that there are so many things to live for but I just can't talk her out of it. I would feel like a murderer if he died and I didn't do anything. What can I do to convince her to get help????

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:51 AM

Keep reminding them all that there is to live for and that the future still holds a lot for them. Remind them all those loved ones who would miss them including you and how you know she wouldn't want to do anything to hurt them. Just don't stop. Even give them a call to reassure that they didn't commit suicide. A friend of my commited suicide only I had no way of stopping it because I hadn't spoken to her in a couple months but you can help just don't stop..

Ads

let her know that you are there for her and that you love her as a friend.. tell her if she thinks no one cares that you do. killing yourself is not woth it.. i have almost done it before. do you know why she is wanting to kill herself?

Tell her to call the crisis hot-line in her area. She can also talk to anyone at clinic, ER, hospital...any doctor or school counselor.

It's not your fault if a person decides to hurt themselves. It is their choice. There is help out there but your friend needs to get it. She needs to want to get help and to get well.

This isn't something you can easily talk someone out of. It doesn't work that way. Encourage her to get help, talk to her parents, friends, family, someone she trusts, etc.

Or you can just listen. Listening is sometimes better than trying to convince a person to live.

Call the cops. She will be mad but its better then killing herself! I had a friend who called her friends mom in time. When the mom ran to her daughters room she had overdosed on pills. Thankfully they were able to pump them out in time.

First off, you are a great friend. Your friend is blessed to have someone like you.

One thing you can try is to send this video to her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n3XEbloP...r_embedded
The woman in the video is a therapist and also has Twitter (http://katimorton.tumblr.com ) accounts where your friend can ask her any kind of question she wants.
There are also many online suicide chatlines where suicidal people can go for help like https://www.imalive.org/

If she is in immediate danger, you can call 911 and ask to be directed to a 911 station- for lack of a better word- in her state. If you do not know her address, please try to get it out of her (don't tell her why you want it- make up something if you have to, like you want to buy her something online and have it shipped to her house).

Other than that, most of what you can do is to always be there for her in a supportive and nonjudgmental way. Tell her how much she means to you, tell her that she can and will get through this and that you'll be with her until she does, try to convince her to see a therapist or get some sort of professional help for herself. Try to keep her talking when she's going through particularly bad moments because she can't do anything to herself if she's continually having to reply to questions/statements from you. Try to find a way to contact her parents or her school and make them aware of what she's going through.

I truly hope everything works out for both of you. DON'T feel guilty if anything bad happens- instead be content with knowing that you did everything you could. You are trying your best.

I really found it stupid when people have such thinking to end their life. They think that what ever happened to them is the worst but they don't know about the people living in hell in this earth but still they have the positive approach towards life. Just ask her to have a positive approach towards life, tell her she's not alone there are still few who need her. If possible go to her place, i don't think any work could be more important than someone's life. Just be with her and try to do things that can make her feel happy.
All the Best!

It's great that you are reaching out to help your friend! It must be really scary for you knowing that your friend is feeling suicidal. We would suggest that you contact 9-1-1 so you can be connected to the police department in your friend's area. Police can do a welfare check. Our trained counselors can assist you in contacting police if you need assistance in doing so. If you want to talk to a counselor you can call the Boys Town National Hotline @1-800-448-3000, 24x7.

Counselor, MT

Boys Town National Hotline
1-800-448-3000