This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why are social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter bad?
11-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Why are social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter bad?
I have to do a debate on the topic : are social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter bad? so i am going for , i mean , yes , social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter are bad. I need some very informative and constructive points , which will give me some good marks in my debate. I would also like you to know statistics and other information can be added.
Thank you for helping me Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 06:52 AM

they addicting

Ads

too much spying and lack of privacy

The 2 main problems I see are firstly they establish an alternative reality...a community that doesn't exist in the real world where people exchange gossip and insights that they wouldn't normally share if they were face to face. people become addicted, shutting out the real world and obsessing on being part of an internet group, constantly being 'connected'.... and back in the real world they talk about what they said or heard like people used to talk about things they had actually done. people are linked to strangers and people with dubious motives and have their photos and personal information passed around, out of their control.

The second is related, by substituting electronic words for real relationships people rarely see the effects of what they share...if you broke some news or told a lie in real life you could see the other person being shocked or upset and you would know if you ought say more or apologize. People report being bullied on-line and others of having intimate secrets plastered across the world wide web... sure those things happen in the real world but there you can chose to stay and join in or not, you can show your anger and frustration and bystanders can come to your rescue.

Creating fake id's n making friends
posting rubbish on walls n encouraging nudity

They're not bad. Personally, I liked the idea that they were invented. Communicating was made easier. It's just a matter of how addicted you are into using these sites, like for example, you know you have to review for a quiz tomorrow, and yet you chose to play your favorite application or check out what your fave celebrities have recently tweeted. Personally, I just use twitter to express whatever I feel like saying at the moment, and yes, to be in the know of other's thoughts. Facebook is more of an online photo album, an avenue to post event (no more written invitations for practicality reasons), keeping in touch with old pals, and so much more. These sites make life more enjoyable and easy, but we just have to strike a balance between being friendly in person and not forgetting that being sociable is NOT limited in Facebook. My friends and I still make it a point to out after final exams and not just keep in touch through Facebook. I hope you get what I mean hehehe